Though there is still the chance of some rainstorms, May is a great time to visit Portugal. The temperatures are warm but mild and the spring showers are coming to an end.
While you can probably expect to wear mostly summer clothes, it's always a good idea to pack a lightweight waterproof jacket, closed-toe shoes, and long pants for cool nights and potential rainfall.
Typical Weather Information
The weather in Portugal this month does not significantly deviate by city, however, it's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the average temperatures in the city or cities you plan on visiting during your stay.
May is your last chance to enjoy Lisbon before high season begins. You can expect comfortable temperatures to enjoy your sightseeing, however, in recent years, temperatures have risen as high as 95 F/35 C and mins as low as 48 F/9 C, but these are atypical extremes.
- The average maximum temperature in Lisbon in May is 71 F/21 C.
- The average minimum is 56 F/13 C.
- The average rainfall in May in Lisbon is 2 inches/56mm
Visit Porto in May, and you should have nice temperatures for walking along the historic Ribeira and can enjoy a port wine out on a terrace, without too much of a chill. Though more temperate than Lisbon, Porto's temperatures this month can get as high as 91 F/33 C and as low as 43 F/6 C.
- The average maximum temperature in Porto in May is 67 F/20 C.
- The average minimum is 52 F/11 C.
- The average rainfall in May in Porto is 3.8 inches/98mm.
Algarve is typically dry with warm, comfortable temperatures in the month of May.
If you are looking to start your summer early, the Algarve is a great place to do so. In recent years, temperatures have been as high as 98 F/37 C and mins as low as 46 F/8 C.
- The average maximum temperature in the Algarve in May is 72 F/22 C.
- The average minimum is 55 F/13 C.
- The average rainfall in May in Faro is 0.8 inches/20 mm.
Temperatures are similar to those of Northern Portugal (like Proto). May is a great time to visit the Douro Valley, with the weather mild and the rainy season coming to a close. May is also the time before the droves of tourists arrive each summer, meaning hotels, airfare, activities, and more are all available at a lower cost.
- The average maximum temperature in May is 67 F/20 C.
- The average minimum is 47 F/9 C.
- The average rainfall in May in Vila Real is 2.6 inches/67mm.