May is the time of the year in Las Vegas when you start feeling the temperature rise and you realize that summer is just around the corner. Although it's getting warmer, the May heat in Vegas is comfortable, especially when compared to the city's midsummer temperatures. However, you may need a sweater at nighttime if you can't tolerate the crispness of the desert air. For the most part, May weather is about as perfect as the Las Vegas climate gets.
Las Vegas Weather in May
It's common in the desert for the day temperatures to be drastically different from night temperatures. However in May, daytime temperatures start to rise and the average high temperature is 88 degrees Fahrenheit (31 degrees Celsius). Nighttimes stay cool, however, and the average low temperature is 66 degrees Fahrenheit (19 degrees Celsius).
May and June are the least rainy months of the year. May's average rainfall is 0.12 inches for the month. Likewise, the humidity is really low, hovering at about 18 percent, so this really is a great month to spend a lot of time outdoors. The mid-afternoon sun and high temperatures can be dehydrating, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water, as you might work up a sweat if you're doing a lot of walking outside.
What to Pack
Since temperatures drop quickly at night, make sure to pack layers. The mornings and evenings might be brisk if you are walking along the Strip, so a long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, or hoodie will be good to have. You will be fine with T-shirts, shorts, and sandals during the day, but you might want a pair of pants and closed-toe shoes at night.
May Events in Las Vegas
As if all the neat attractions at each of the hotels wasn't enough, Las Vegas offers food events, dance festivals, and a few cultural celebrations to look forward to in May.
- Vegas Uncork'd by Bon Appétit: Check out one of the world's most decadent and delicious food festivals. At this event, you'll be able to sample dishes from celebrity chef outposts throughout Las Vegas, each of which will also be offer special menus throughout the weekend.
- Electric Daisy Carnival: Commonly known as EDC, this annual electronic dance music festival is held annually in May at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. It is the flagship location with others cropping up in other cities. On average, the three-day festival attracts 400,000 people per year.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration: Festivities take place at the Fremont Street Experience and you can find special events and menus at Mexican restaurants throughout the city.
- Helldorado Days: This annual cowboy-themed event celebrates Las Vegas’ tribute to the Wild West with a rodeo and parade mid-May.
- Concerts at the T-Mobile Arena and Park Theater at Park MGM: Major headliners come every year to perform. Book your tickets months in advance to get the best price.
May Travel Tips
- For a spectacular view at sunset, go to the Eiffel Tower at Paris Las Vegas.
- If you were thinking of combining a trip to the Grand Canyon with your Las Vegas trip, May is a great time to see the park before the summer crowds arrive and the weather gets too hot.
- When May starts to bring the heat, the pools in Las Vegas start filling up. You can expect the party atmosphere to build up toward Memorial Day weekend.