May is a great time to visit New York City. Spring is in full swing, which makes it very comfortable to be outside. Temperatures are comfortable for walking, exploring and picnicking, and the throngs of summer tourists haven't yet invaded the city's museums and attractions, so crowds tend to be smaller.
The warm weather brings lots of residents and visitors to common spots, including Central Park, the Highline, and Bryant Park, so people-watching is another outstanding option during this time of year.
The long Memorial Day weekend often has many New Yorkers leaving town for the beach or the country, making it a near-ideal time to visit the city, especially if you want to see all the sailors who are in town for Fleet Week or take a (free) tour of their ships that are docked in Manhattan and Staten Island.
May also is a great time to catch a baseball game when you visit New York City, whether you want to see our major league teams, the NY Yankees (at Yankee Stadium in The Bronx) or the NY Mets (at Citi Field in Queens), or catch one of the minor league teams playing ball in Coney Island or Staten Island.
- Average High: 71°F (22°C)
- Average Low: 55°F (13°C)
- May offers great weather for visiting New York City—it's warm enough to spend a lot of time walking around but cool enough to remain comfortable.
What to Wear
- pack an umbrella
- evenings can be cool, so pack a jacket
- a sweater
- comfortable walking shoes
- great weather for visiting New York City
- summer crowds have not yet arrived
- perfect time of year for New York's many walking tours
- the full roster of summer activities is not yet underway
Good to Know
- Memorial Day is the last Monday in May and it's a holiday to commemorate those who've died in defense of America. It also marks the beginning of summer for many Americans. Many New Yorkers leave for the holiday, but aside from government offices, banks, and post offices and some smaller stores, most tourist services remain open.
Highlights and Events
- Cinco De Mayo
- Tribeca Film Festival
- Bike NY: Great 5 Borough Bike Tour (1st Weekend)
- Mother's Day
- Dance Parade
- AIDS Walk NY (3rd Sunday)
- Ninth Avenue International Food Festival
- "Toast of the Town" Wine Tasting
- Fleet Week
- Baseball Season
- Women's Liberty Season (WNBA)
- Memorial Day