Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Mater, everyone’s favorite animated hillbilly tow truck has been out making some mischief. He corralled a herd of runaway baby tractors in his junkyard.
As long as they're hanging around, they'd might as well do something, I guess. In this ride, guests are invited to an old-fashioned square dance in Mater’s salvage yard as they ride trailers hitched to the baby tractors. The baby tractor dance routine is accompanied by one of seven songs, all sung by Larry the Cable Guy who is also the voice of Mater.
You may be thinking: "but there weren't any baby tractors in the "Cars" film," and you'd be right. These cute little fellers were created just for the ride. They're pulling cart-style ride vehicles in their unique version of a square dance, where everyone is invited to "tow-si-do" around Mater's salvage yard. It's a gentle ride, fun for most anyone.
What You Need to Know About Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
- Location: Cars Land
- Rating: ★★★★
- Restrictions: 32 inches (81 cm)
- Ride Time: 1.5 minutes
- Recommended for: Everyone
- Fun Factor: Medium
- Wait Factor: Low. Even though Mater is such a popular character, the wait for this ride is usually short and seldom longer than 20 minutes.
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Even though it looks a little bit like those dizziness-inducing teacups at Disneyland, this ride doesn't make your head spin as much.
- Seating: Ride vehicles has a bench seat and a lap bar. They are pulled by little tractors. You have to take one step up to get in.
- Accessibility: Radiator Springs Racers is wheelchair and ECV accessible, but you'll have to transfer to the ride vehicle by yourself or with help from your companions. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
- This ride is suitable for small children, as long as they don't get dizzy easily.
- Don't skip it because you're being snooty. Grown-up you may think at first that the Jamboree is a tame kiddy ride, but adults consistently comment that it's more fun than they imagined.
- You can see what the ride is like in this video review from Inside the Magic.
- It's fun to ride with Mater at night. More California Adventure rides that are best at night.
- The lonesome little tractor outside the ride is Mater's Petting Zoo, an excellent place for kids to get a preview of them and for adults to appreciate their details.
More About California Adventure Rides
You can see all the California Adventure rides at a glance on the California Adventure Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with Radiator Springs Racers and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Larry the Cable Guy, who was Mater's voice in the "Cars" movie recorded seven original songs for the ride. His backup band was Billy Hill & the Hillbillies from Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe Saloon. Once an hour, they play an eighth song that was put together using outtakes from the recording sessions.
Every ride vehicle is a little different, just like the cows they stand in for in the film. They have different markings, eye colors, and mouths. The letters on their license plates are the initials and birthdays of key Cars Land project contributors from Walt Disney Imagineering and Pixar Animation Studios.
Don't get so distracted that you miss Mater's junkyard jukebox, a contraption worthy of your attention.
Mater's Jamboree is a "crack-the-whip" style ride, based on the movement of classic carnival rides. The vehicles are transferred from one revolving turntable to another, creating near miss moments similar to Francis' Ladybug Boogie. The ride's motion makes you slide across the seat when it makes a sudden change of direction. Ride with a friend and give in to that, and you'll be gently banging into each other the whole time.
If you're a Mater fan and have seen his Tall Tales shorts, check the junkyard for souvenirs that include the drum kit from "Heavy Metal Mater," oil cans from "Unidentified Flying Mater," and an office window from "Mater Private Eye."