01 of 06
2014 Commemorative Service details:
Monday, January 20, 2014, 8:00 a.m.
Ebenezer Baptist Church – Horizon Sanctuary
407 Auburn Avenue, NE, Atlanta, GA
The 2014 Keynote speaker at the service is Rev. Raphael Warnock, Senior Pastor Ebenezer Church.
Each year, a Commemorative Service is the spiritual hallmark of the King Holiday Observance, and features tributes to the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. from national and international leaders. This event is free and open to the public with limited seating. Directly following the service, the Presidential Inauguration will be televised on a large screen in the sanctuary.
02 of 06
King Center Events
The King Center will hold ten days of events surrounding the 2014 holiday, honoring the theme "Choose Nonviolence." In addition to the annual Commemorative Service, highlights include:
- A march and rally in the King Historic District. The March is held on Auburn Avenue from Peachtree Street to Jackson Street. Gather at 1:45 on January 20 at Peachtree and Baker Street.
- A kick-off reception featuring dignitaries, local consulates, elected officials, college and university presidents, executives, pastors, leaders, the entertainment community
- A workshop for college students
- The annual Salute to Greatness awards dinner
See this PDF guide for the entire events schedule.
03 of 06
January 20, 2014, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Join Imagine It! Children's Museum for a special MLK day birthday celebration at the museum. Children can create a "Live the Dream" wall hanging and celebrate King's famous I Have a Dream speech. Free with general admission.
04 of 06
Each year, Emory University hosts a series of events honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. In 2014, highlights include:
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- A day of volunteering on January 20
- The Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Awards
05 of 06
Americans are encouraged to take time out to help their community, in honor of the memory of Dr. King. You can search for local projects that are taking place in Atlanta as a part of MLK Day of Service.
06 of 06
The National Historic Site is open year round and is always a great place to visit to learn more about Dr. Martin Luther King. In fact, it's one of the popular free attractions in Atlanta. Wander the site yourself, or stop by the Visitor Center and sign up for a free tour of King's birth home (no advance reservations available, tours are first come, first served).
Find activities and events to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr on MLK Day in Atlanta. These events have been updated for 2014.