Marriott International, Inc. is a Fortune 500 company with more than 7,000 hotels and resorts in 130 countries and territories—including many in the Capital Region of Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
The company, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, was founded by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott in 1927, and their son, J.W. “Bill” Marriott, Jr., spent more than 50 years shaping it into one of the world’s leading hospitality companies. Marriott is consistently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work” and leads the industry with innovations that elevate style, design, and technology.
All Marriott Hotels participate in the Marriott Bonvoy (formerly Marriott Rewards) frequent travel program that allows members to earn hotel points for every dollar they spend during each stay. Marriott operates and franchises hotels with more than a dozen brands, each to meet the needs of different types of travelers. The brands are categorized as Luxury, Premium, Select, Longer Stays, and Collections.
Marriott Luxury Brands
When you truly want to relax during your vacation, staying at a luxury Marriott Hotel usually comes with added amenities and deluxe features like room service and even spas. From Marriott Marquis to the Ritz-Carlton, these luxury brands of Marriott hotels may come at with steeper fees, but the overall comfort you'll find there is worth the price tag.
- Marriott Marquis: The company's newest brand has a few properties that focus on luxury accommodations as well as convention and meeting spaces. The Marriott Marquis in Washington, D.C. is next door to the Washington Convention Center.
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company: This luxury chain is known worldwide for its elegant accommodations and top-rate service at over 75 hotels. Each hotel or resort location offers fine dining, 24-hour room service, twice-daily housekeeping, fitness and business centers, and concierge services. The Five-Star Ritz-Carlton D.C. is located a little west of downtown and features two exceptional dining establishments—the Westend Bistro and Quadrant Bar and Lounge—as well as a full-service spa.
- JW Marriott Hotels: The company’s most luxurious brand provides business and leisure travelers with simple elegance, an inviting atmosphere, and a deluxe level of comfort and personal service. The JW Marriott in Washington, D.C. is located steps from the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Bulgari Hotels & Resorts: Known as the leaders in luxury properties, Bulgari is comprised of a few hotels and luxury hotels and resorts in major metropolitan areas around the world. Each hotel is designed with an Italian contemporary luxury feel, enriched by rare and lavish materials. Unfortunately, none exist in the United States.
Premium Marriott Brands
If you only want to spend a little less than Luxury, but you also want more room to relax than the standard Marriott brands, Premium Marriott hotels are a happy medium between the Luxury brand's expensive rates and the Select brand's sparser amenities.
- Gaylord Hotels: Acquired by Marriott in 2012, Gaylord Hotels are a world-renowned leader in resort experiences that offer guests breathtaking vacation and convention options. From the scenic banks of the Potomac in Washington, D.C. to the lively heart of Music City in Nashville, Gaylord Hotels celebrate the heritage of their destinations. Each Gaylord Hotels resort blends magnificent settings, luxurious rooms, and world-class entertainment.
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts: These staple Marriott-branded hotels and resorts are found in 500 diverse locations worldwide and offer a comfortable stay with intuitive guest rooms and tech-enabled meeting spaces. The capital region is home to several of these hotels and resorts, including a few around the downtown area of Washington, D.C.
Select Marriott Brands
One of Marriott's biggest brands—in terms of the overall number of hotels and resorts operated under the title—Select hotels and resorts offer moderate amenities and comfortable rooms, especially for business and budget travelers.
- Courtyard by Marriott: This popular brand of Marriott hotel offers convenient locations throughout the world featuring spacious rooms, plush bedding, and high-tech amenities, plus breakfast, dinner, and cocktails at the Bistro in select locations. Choose between two Courtyard by Marriott locations on either side of the White House in Washington, D.C., both of which feature comfortable roof decks and spacious accommodations.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott: These all-suite hotels are infused with stylish spaces and inspiring design, featuring modern amenities at nearly 300 locations worldwide. SpringHill Suites has two locations in Alexandria, Virginia—one in Old Town and one a little further west of the city.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott: These comfortable, affordable, and reliable business hotels provide everything you need to work productively, maximize downtime, eat well, and sleep soundly. There are several locations in the capital region to choose from when it comes to Fairfield Inn & Suites.
- AC Hotels by Marriott: This lifestyle brand within the Marriott International global portfolio has more than 75 hotels throughout Spain, Italy, Portugal, and France with more than 50 additional hotels opening throughout the U.S. and Latin America. One of the first to open in the U.S. is the AC Hotel at National Harbor in Maryland.
- Renaissance Hotels: One of the most popular brands within the Marriott portfolio, Renaissance Hotels include more than 160 hotels in 35 countries worldwide. Each property is unique, offering an array of amenities and an inspiring world of local discoveries. The Renaissance Washington, D.C. Downtown Hotel features a stunning rooftop overlooking the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial and the White House.
Longer Stays and Collections
Designed for long-term visitors, especially those in town for business, Longer Stays branded hotels, suites, and apartments are great for newcomers to the city. On the other hand, if you're just in town for a short while but want a truly unique or extravagant experience, you may want to consider staying at Autographs Collection hotels.
- Residence Inn by Marriott: Designed to provide extended stay travelers with everything they need to thrive on long stays. Residence Inn offers spacious suites with room to eat, work, and sleep. Guests enjoy complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi, evening socials and grocery delivery service.
- TownePlace Suites: Built for the extended stay traveler who appreciates the value in a relaxed and productive environment, TownePlace Suites feature modern spacious accommodations with full kitchens, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, and friendly staff. Check out the TownePlace Suites in Falls Church, Virginia, just east of Arlington, especially if you plan to visit the National Cemetery there.
- Marriott Executive Apartments: For travelers who want to feel like they have a home in a new city, Executive Apartments offer stylish apartment living and premier hotel services for stays of over 30 nights. The properties include spacious floor plans, gourmet kitchens, housekeeping, and grocery delivery. The ExecuStay Marriott in northwest Washington, D.C. offers oversized apartments with modern furniture and affordable rates.
- Autograph Collection Hotels: This evolving ensemble of independent hotels features destinations selected for their bold originality, rich character, and uncommon details. Part of the Autograph Collection, the Mayflower Hotel in downtown Washington, D.C. is known for its grand lobby lounge and 43,000 square feet of event spaces, including the luxurious ballroom.