Congratulations! You're getting married. One of the first things you need to do is obtain a marriage license.
In Ohio, a marriage license is valid for 60 days. However, just getting the license doesn't mean you're married. You'll give the form to the minister or another official who marries you, and that person will sign it and send it the county recorder's office to be filed (as well as send you a copy). To obtain an Ohio marriage license, you must:
- Apply to the county courthouse where you reside, or if neither party resides in Ohio, the county where your marriage will be solemnized. (You don't have to be a permanent resident.)
- Be at least 16 years of age. (However, 6 and 17-year-olds must have consent from both parents.)
- Not currently be married.
What to Bring to the Courthouse
To get the license, both parties must appear in person at the courthouse and bring the following items:
- Proof of identification and age (such as a driver's license, an Ohio state-issued ID, or a passport), social security card, and current driver's license or state ID (if the current address is not listed in this document, additional proof of residency is required). Applicants under 21 years of age also must show their original or certified copy of their birth certificate.
- If either party has been previously married, he or she must bring the appropriate death certificate or divorce decree.
- Cash to pay for the license. The amount depends on the county.
Below is a list of the county marriage license offices in Northeast Ohio:
- Ashtabula County Probate Court
- 25 West Jefferson Street
- Jefferson, Ohio
- Cuyahoga County Probate Court
- 1 Lakeside Avenue West, Room 129
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Geauga County Probate Court
- 231 Main Street, Suite 200
- Chardon, Ohio
- Lake County Probate Court
- 25 North Park Place
- Painesville, Ohio
- Lorain County Probate Court
- 225 Court Street, 6th Floor
- Elyria, Ohio
- Medina County Probate Court
- 93 Public Square, Room 104
- Medina, Ohio
- Portage County Probate Court
- 203 West Main Street
- Ravenna, Ohio
- Summit County Probate Court
- 209 South High Street
- Akron, Ohio