Mark Twain Riverboat Ride at Disneyland Cailfornia
The Mark Twain Riverboat goes on a gentle cruise around Tom Sawyer Island. That's the same route that the Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes take, and I'd suggest choosing only one of these three attractions. You don't need to see that same scenery three times.
What You Need to Know About the Mark Twain Riverboat
We polled 131 of our readers to find out what they think about the riverboat. 74% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time, making it one of the lower-rated things to do at Disneyland.
- Location: Mark Twain Riverboat is in Frontierland
- Rating: ★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 12 minutes
- Recommended for: Everyone
- Fun Factor: Low
- Wait Factor: Low
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: You just get on and ride, and you can move around while it's going
- Accessibility: This ride is fully accessible, and you can stay in your wheelchair or ECV for the whole thing, but you'll only get onto the lower level. Go to the access gate on the right side of the turnstile or enter through the attraction exit and ask a Cast Member for help. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on the Mark Twain Riverboat
- If you want to rest your feet, head for the seats in the front as soon as you get on.
- This ride closes before dark
- Watch the kids. They may be tempted to climb on the railings and could fall off.
- If you ask a cast member, the pilot might let you ride inside with him. This is limited to just a couple of people per trip.
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Mark Twain Riverboat
Built in 1955, this was the first paddle wheeler built since shortly after 1900. It was built at the Disney Studios, except for the hull which was constructed at a shipyard in San Pedro. But don't let that fool you. It's a working reproduction of the historic vessels that ferried people up and down the mighty Mississippi, with a working steam engine that powers the large paddle, which in turn propels the boat.
The Mark Twain made its first voyage four days before Disneyland opened to the public, for Walt and Lillian Disney's 30th wedding anniversary.
The Mark Twain was christened by actress Irene Dunne who starred in the 1936 movie "Showboat" on Disneyland's Opening Day.
The boat is 28 feet tall and 105 feet long, with four decks.
The writer Mark Twain was a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi river when he was younger, and one of Walt Disney's personal heroes, which is why Walt named the boat after him.
A riverboat ride was in the plans from the earliest days, when Walt Disney started the first plans for building an amusement park near Walt Disney Studios in Burbank.
Every Disney theme park throughout the world has their own version of the Mark Twain riverboat.