We may be thousands of miles away from New Orleans, but you can still celebrate Mardi Gras in Washington, D.C. This year, the nation's capital will celebrate with a festive parade along its newly opened waterfront in SW. Here's a guide to local Mardi Gras parties, parades, balls and family days. Mark your calendar and join in the fun!
- Mardis Gras District Wharf - March 2, 2019, 6-8 p.m. Wharf St. District Pier, Washington, D.C. Celebrate Fat Tuesday with a spirited parade along the DC waterfront, followed by a dance party on District Pier, and a spectacular display of fireworks. The parade will be set to the sounds of classic NOLA brass band music and feature custom-designed floats along with festive balloons and, of course, bead tossing. Plus, New Orleans-style food and drink will be available at all your favorite hangouts in honor of Mardi Gras.
- Mardi Gras Extravaganza - March 5, 6-10 p.m. The Showroom, 1099 14th Street NW. Washington, D.C. The $55 all-you-can-eat ticketed event will bring together 20+ of the DC area's best chefs and Southern-inspired restaurants, top mixologists, bar and breweries along with live music, all to benefit DC Central Kitchen. Mixologists will compete for the best Hurricanes, while partygoers can enter a costume contest.
- Mardi Gras Masquerade - March 5, 2019, 7 p.m.-11 p.m.. The Dupont Circle Hotel, 1500 New Hampshire Avenue NW., Washington, D.C. Dance the night away to the best of New Orleans inspired live music and get transported to the Bourbon Street at this party with Southern-themed drinks and bites. Elegant masks and festive attire suggested.
- Clarendon Mardi Gras Parade - March 5, 2019, 2019. Wilson Boulevard and N. Barton Street, Arlington, VA. Celebrate Fat Tuesday at the family-friendly parade as it takes over the streets of Clarendon with floats, music, beads and fun.
- Black Jack Mardi Gras - 2019 Date to Be Announced. 1612 14th St NW, Washington, D.C. New Orleans-style celebration. Guests will be made to feel as if they’re on Bourbon Street as the space will be transformed with elaborate carnival decorations, transporting patrons to the French Quarter, and the regular food and drink menu will change for the four-day period featuring Cajun-style classics. A funk band will perform on opening day and will close out the festivities on Mardi Gras.
- Mardis Gras Bottomless Brunch - February 24, 2019, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Capitol Cider House, 3930 Georgia Avenue NW., Washington, D.C. Kick off Mardi Gras parties with a NOLA-style brunch. For $48, enjoy bottomless cider mimosas and food from Mardis Tyme Catering including bourbon meatballs, jambalaya, shrimp creole, cajun wings, red beans and rice, and king cake.