Ritter Sport is one of the most popular chocolate brands in Germany with its headquarters in the town of Waldenbuch, just outside of the city of Stuttgart. While their popular bars can be found in any grocery store, a visit to one of their workshops and museums provide a Schokolade lovers' dream - a chance to design your own customized chocolate bar!
Making Your Own Chocolate Bar
On my parent's last visit to Berlin, we decided to try our hand at being Willy Wonka.
Ritter's motto of "Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut." ("Squared. Practical. Good.") is thoroughly German, but visitors are allowed to get a little wild with add-ins of red peppercorn, gold stars and even seasonal specials like Lebkuchen (gingerbread).
We entered the busy two-story shop, museum and cafe just off of Gendarmenmarkt and joined the long line of customers waiting to make their own chocolate. Each bar is €3.90 and comes with a selection of light or dark chocolate plus 3 add-ins. Even if there is a long line, it moves quickly as people make their selection by card and shuffle closer to chocolate paradise. We only had a moment to ponder our choices before we were up and I hastily decided on dark chocolate, raspberry, yogurt bits & coco nubs.
There was a 40-minute wait to collect the chocolates, but a full shop, small free museum with short film (English & German) on the history of chocolate and bathrooms allowed us a moment of respite from our busy day of sightseeing.
Seated by the window in the upstairs cafe, we sipped on chocolatey coffee drinks that came with a small side of chocolate. Diabetics beware...
Out of all of our selections, the adventurous milk chocolate, chili powder, red peppercorn & caramelized almonds bar was the least successful, but still edible.
The rest were a resounding success and quickly consumed. If your prefer to stick with the tried and true flavors, leave it to the profis (professionals) at Ritter Sport with recommended pairings and pre-made bars.
Popular Ritter Sport Flavors
- Vollmilch – Milk chocolate (Royal Blue Wrapper)
- Halbbitter – Dark chocolate, 50% cacao (Burgundy Wrapper)
- Pfefferminz – Chocolate with peppermint filling (Caribbean Green Wrapper)
- Erdbeer Joghurt – Milk chocolate strawberry and yogurt filling (Light Pink Wrapper)
- Voll-Nuss – Milk chocolate with whole hazelnuts (Brown Wrapper with Hazelnut-Pattern)
- Knusperflakes – Milk chocolate with corn flakes (Golden Yellow Wrapper)
- Voll Erdnuss – Milk chocolate with whole peanuts (Orange Wrapper)
- Ganze Mandel – Milk chocolate with whole almonds (Dark Green Wrapper)
- Marzipan – Dark chocolate with marzipan center (Red Wrapper)
- Alpenmilch – Special milk chocolate with high alpine milk proportion (Sky Blue Wrapper)
Ritter Sport Headquarters in Waldenbuch
- Address: Alfred-Ritter-Straße 27, 71111 Waldenbuch
- Telephone: 0 71 57 / 97-704
- Hours for SchokoShop (Chocolate Shop): Monday through Friday 8:00 - 18:30, Saturday 9:00 - 18:00
- Hours for SchokoAusstellung (Chocolate Exhibition): Monday through Friday 8:00 - 18:30, Saturday 9:00 - 18:00, Sunday 11:00 - 18:00
- Hours for SchokoWerkstatt (Chocolate Workshop): Tuesday through Sunday. Book a place online or by calling 0 71 57 / 97-704.
Ritter Sport in Berlin
- Address: Französische Straße 24, 10117 Berlin
- Telephone: +49 (0)30-200 9508-0
- Hours: Monday through Wednesday 10:00 – 19:00, Thursday through Saturday 10:00 – 20:00, Sundays 10:00 – 18:00
The kitchen in the SchokoCafé closes 1 hour before closing.
Ritter Sport in Hamburg
- Address: Dammtorstraße 30, 20354 Hamburg
- Hours: March 1st to June 30th, 2014; Monday through Saturday 11:00 – 20:00
Ritter Sport on Tour
The SCHOKOWERKSTATT is also on tour. Check out dates and location online: http://www.ritter-sport.de/#/de_DE/on-tour (German)