01 of 04
Eat, Bowl, and Play
Eat, bowl, play is the tagline for the Main Event, an entertainment destination for people of all ages. The Dallas-based bowling chain has three locations outside of Phoenix, in Tempe and Gilbert on the east side of town, and Avondale on the west. There are more than 40 other entertainment centers throughout the U.S.
Its activities include bowling, laser tag, billiards, gravity ropes, and electronic games. You will find a full-service restaurant, a pizza and gelato café, and a bar for the adults. There are prizes and party spaces. Main Event is spacious, bright, loud, exciting, and packed with fun.
Bowling is the major attraction. For example, at the Tempe location, there are 20 lanes, all of which have state-of-the-art equipment, video screens—you can personalize your scoring experience. The lanes are somewhat dark, employing colored lights and other effects to enhance the experience.
If you have little ones bowling with you, they have bumpers that emerge and retract, depending on whose turn it is to bowl. Pricing for bowling is charged per lane, and not per hour, so if you have a family of six you will get the best deal. Or, it can be a great night out with a group of friends. You are welcome to bring your own bowling equipment, but if you do not have bowling shoes, you can rent them. If you forget socks, you can get them there.
One of the other popular activities at Main Event is Laser Tag, with a two-level arena. A session lasts about 15 minutes. You can also test your balance on bridges, ropes, and planks high above the arcade on the Gravity Ropes. You will be wearing a safety harness and there is a height requirement for this challenge.
The billiard area features full-size, regulation tables that you can rent in half-hour increments as well as shuffleboard. The video and interactive games require the use of a game card that you load with credits. The gaming gallery offers options for all level of gamers, including individual games, team games, and air hockey, too.Continue to 2 of 4 below.
02 of 04
Food, Parties, Leagues, Corporate Meetings
Main Event offers food, drinks, parties, and meeting space. The dining options at Main Event are designed to be more than just snack food to keep people playing longer. The stand-alone pizza café has specialty or create-your-own pizzas, unlimited fountain drinks, as well as a kid's menu, smoothies, and gelato. For a more traditional meal, the full-service menu includes appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, ribs, and more. After dinner, adults can gather at the lounge where there is a full bar featuring premium liquors, wine, and beer.
There are party packages for every celebration—birthday parties (ages up to 15), school events, packages for kids ages 11 to 18. Main Event has packages for parties of 10 or more. Celebrating with your co-workers? Having a going away party, bridal party, or congratulating someone on a promotion? If you have a group of 10 or more, you can arrange for a happy hour with drinks, food, reserved tables in the bar, billiards, and shuffleboard.
Main Event has a business conference room, away from the noise (and with a separate music system) where you can have meetings, arrange for catering, and take a break for some team-building fun at the lanes, in the laser tag arena, or even on the gravity ropes obstacle course.
Main Event can be rented out in its entirety for any large party, for example, a prom, a reunion, a lock-in event, or a company party.Continue to 3 of 4 below.
03 of 04
There is no admission charge to enter Main Event. You can visit for free, grab a gelato, a pizza, visit the bar if you are old enough, dine in the full-service restaurant, or watch your friends or children play.
Fees for bowling vary depending on when you bowl; fees are charged per lane and per hour for a maximum of six people per lane. Bowling shoes are available to rent.
Laser Tag and Gravity Ropes have per session rates. Sessions are about 15 minutes in length.
The FUNcard is used to play the games. You may load the card, keep it, and recharge it on any visit. Each game requires a certain amount of credits to play. Video game play prices range from $1.25 to $4. Check online for special deals and discounts, like Monday Night Madness and bonus play FUNcards.Continue to 4 of 4 below.
04 of 04
10 Things to Know Before You Go
Ten Things To Know about Main Event
- You can use cash, credit cards, and gift cards at Main Event. You will need to purchase a FUNpass to play games.
- Laser Tag and Gravity Ropes have a height requirement of 48 inches to participate.
- During certain hours, billiard tables may be restricted to ages 18 and up. There may be free billiards during specific times.
- If you have no interest to play but plan to be in the building, there is free wi-fi available throughout the building.
- Music plays throughout the facility, including in the cafe and restaurant. In the enclosed conference room, there are separate controls allowing meeting participants to work without music.
- Conference facilities have podiums and A/V equipment including flat screen televisions, DVD players, wireless handheld microphones, projectors, screens, and complimentary WiFi.
- There are curfews in Arizona, so underage guests must be accompanied by a responsible adult after certain times.
- Check online for spring break specials and summer camps.
- Offered several times per year, Main Event hosts eight-week bowling leagues.
- Party rooms are not in enclosed spaces and are, therefore, not private.