April is a popular time to visit Spain and Madrid in particular. If you want to avoid Semana Santa, Madrid is a good place to visit, as the city is not famous for its Easter celebrations. On the other hand, if you want to experience Semana Santa in Toledo, the Spanish capital is an ideal place to stay as Toledo is a convenient Day Trip from Madrid.
But what kind of weather can you expect? Does Madrid fall foul of April showers?
Most websites will give you averages, but weather is rarely average. If has ever rained on a day, the average rain for that day will be some rain and average temperatures don't tell you about the freak highs and lows you can expect.
On this page, I have provided not only the averages for three days in April, but also the record highs and lows and the actual weather conditions over the past three years. This will help you see not only what is possible but also what is likely in April in Madrid.
- How to Plan the Perfect Madrid Vacation
- Where to Stay in Madrid Pick good accommodation and the rest will follow
- Madrid Day Trips
- Find affordable hotels on TripAdvisor
What Weather to Prepare for in Madrid in April
Temperatures vary greatly towards the start of the month, you can generally expect temperatures around 20°C (72°F) throughout the month, more reliably so towards the end of April. A little rain is possible earlier, more towards the start of the month.
See also: Weather in Spain in April
Madrid or Barcelona? Which Has Better Weather in April?
The weather in April in Barcelona is a little cooler than in Madrid and tends to be wetter in Catalonia than in the capital. But with April weather so unpredictable, it's pot luck really which city will have better weather.
See also: Madrid or Barcelona? Which Is Better?
Madrid in Early April: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Early April can throw virtually any weather conditions at you. April 2011 saw a mini-heatwave, which the past couple of years have been much cooler. Expect anything from 10°C to 25°C (50°F to 77°F). A little rain is possible.
- April 5 Averages High: 16°C. Low: 5 °C.
- April 5 Records High: 25°C. Low: -1°C.
- April 5, 2016 High: 16°C. Low: 7°.
- April 5, 2015 High: 17°C. Low: 6°C.
- April 5, 2014 High: 20°C. Low: 11°C.
- April 5, 2013 High: 10°C. Low: 4°C. Light drizzle.
- April 5, 2012 High: 13°C. Low: 8°C. Light drizzle.
- April 5, 2011 High: 25°C. Low: 9°C.
See also: Madrid Events in 2014
Madrid in Mid-April: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Temperatures tend to be in the low-20s (around 72°F) in mid-April, though lower is certainly possible. It tends to be considerably cooler at night than in the daytime.
- April 15 Averages High: 16°C. Low: 5°C.
- April 15 Records High: 26°C. Low: 1°C.
- April 15, 2016 High: 19°C. Low: 8°C.
- April 15, 2015 High: 18°C. Low: 7°C.
- April 15, 2014 High: 26°C. Low: 15°C.
- April 15, 2013 High: 24°C. Low: 9°C.
- April 15, 2012 High: 13°C. Low: 4°C.
- April 15, 2011 High: 22°C. Low: 8°C.
Madrid in Late-April: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Much the same as in mid-April, but more reliably around the 20°C mark. Again, temperatures drop considerably at night. It tends to stay dry.
- April 25 Averages High: 20°C. Low: 7°C.
- April 25 Records High: 28°C. Low: 3°C.
- April 25, 2016 High: 20°C. Low: 6°C.
- April 25, 2015 High: 20°C. Low: 7°C.
- April 25, 2014 High: 18°C. Low: 7°C.
- April 25, 2013 High: 21°C. Low: 6°C.
- April 25, 2012 High: 19°C. Low: 7°C.
- April 25, 2011 High: 20°C. Low: 9°C.
Source: Weather Underground Almanac