You know its spring and summer in the Metro-Detroit area when the farmers' markets start popping up in various neighborhoods, communities and cities. While they vary in size, product and market days, they offer a venue for local farmers and artisans to sell their fruits, vegetables and crafts. Here are just a few of the Macomb County Michigan Farmers' Markets.
Mount Clemens Farmers' Market
Mount Clemens has hosted a Farm City Week since the 1800s, but it wasn't until 1979 that the Mount Clemens Farmers' Market first opened with 50 farmers. These days the market provides a venue for fresh produce, including apples, apricots, blueberries, cabbage, celery root, dill, kale, kohlrabi, leek, parsnips, peaches, plums, raspberries, spinach, sweet corn, watermelon, and zucchini. The market also includes baked goods, jams & jellies, Indian corn, gourds, cornstalks, eggs, fish, and pumpkins, as well as rare produce such as okra, Italian eggplant and raw honey in the comb.
- Location: Park & Ride Lot on North River between Gratiot and I-94.
- Season: Fridays and Saturdays, May through November
- Hours: 7 AM to 1 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (586) 493-7600
- Claim to Fame: The market hosts Chef in the Market, which features a chef creating culinary masterpieces from ingredients found at the market.
- Special Attractions: The market hosts several special events throughout the season. In 2012, the events will include Flower Daze, Strawberry Social, Family Day, Battle of the Chefs, Corn & Pig Roast, Customer Appreciation Day, Garden Walk & Fall Plant Exchange, Tater & Pork Roast, Apple Festival, Soup Day, and Pumpkin Party.
New Baltimore Farmers' Market
The New Baltimore Farmers' Market is in downtown New Baltimore.
- Location: Washington Street, between Main and Front Streets (off of I-94)
- Season: Sundays, June through October
- Hours: 8 AM to 1 PM
- Special Attractions: Flower and Herb markets are held in early June with bedding flowers, food, and live entertainment. The market also hosts Yoga in the Park on Sundays at noon, as well as several special events throughout the season. For instance, the Closing Harvest Festival takes place at the end of October with live music and family activities.
Northern Farm Market in Romeo
Northern Farm Market is operated on the family farm of the Vanhouttes. The market includes fresh fruits and vegetables, canned vegetables, sweet corn, pumpkins, a large variety of apples, Indian corn, straw, corn stalks, honey, maple syrup, fresh-cut flowers, and crafts.
- Location: Van Dyke, south of 35 Mile Road
- Season: Daily, summer and fall
- Hours: 8 AM to 8 PM (summer)
- 9 AM to 7 PM (fall)
- Contact Phone Number: (586) 531-2439
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: Apples are picked daily from an on-site apple orchard. In the fall, kids can pick their own pumpkin straight off the vine. The market also hosts a corn maze and Sunday corn roasts.
Shelby Township Farmers' Market
The Shelby Township market features eggs, honey, maple syrup, bread, bakery items, organic coffee, flowers, garden plants, yard decorations, and cut flowers.
- Location: Historic Packard Proving Ground, Van Dyke Avenue
- Season: Saturdays, May through October
- Hours: 9 AM to 2 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (586) 943-5785
Warren Farmer's Market
- Location: City Square, Warren, Michigan
- Season: Sundays, May through October
- Hours: 9 AM to 2 PM
- Contact Phone Number: (586) 268-8400
- Claim to Fame / Special Attractions: The organizers are actively seeking local entertainers to perform during the farmers' market.