Luxury Vacation Rentals Can Be Better than Luxury Hotels
Vacation planning is so easy today, and so many styles of vacations abound Nowadays, luxury villa or home rentals are increasingly popular alternatives to luxury hotel vacations. And today it's easier to book private accommodations than a hotel room. (Really! See what we mean.)
But will private accommodations in a villa rental you find online from an agent or owner will be a better choice for you than a traditional hotel stay?
Keep reading, and we'll help you decide.
All the Ways that Luxury Villa Rentals May Be Better than Luxury Hotels
These are the ways in which luxury villas excel, and may be a good fit for your vacation style.
• Mainstream Choice: In some resort destinations, villa and home (or apartment) rentals have been established for decades. Here, villa renters are respected and treated like honorary residents. (Some home rental strongholds: Spain's beaches and islands, Paris, Provence, Tuscany, the Greek isles, Buenos Aires, Mexico's Los Cabos and Punta Mita, Cape Cod, Maine, the Hamptons, Palm Springs, and ski resorts everywhere)
• Privacy: Typically, rental villas are private homes where your neighbors are not on the other side of the wall, as in a hotel. Your villa's pool, beachfront, dock, etc. are not shared. And your parking spot is right there
• Quiet: Villas are usually in quiet parts of town away from main streets, with no hotel or street noise
• Design: Luxury villas are often impressive, one-of-a-kind properties such as castles, châteaux, penthouses, ski chalets, or modern beach houses
• Live-in: Luxury villas are usually comfortable homes equipped with kitchen, deck, pool, hot tub, laundry room, and other amenities
• Space: Luxury villas are generally bigger than all but the largest hotel suites
• Group suitability: With multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, villas can provide a better "friends and family" experience than a block of hotel rooms
• Value: Luxury villa rates compare well with hotels, especially for stays of a week or more. And having a kitchen (and sometimes a chef on call) moderates restaurant expenses
• Pet-friendly: As private homes, villas tend to be more welcoming to furry visitors than all but the most pet-friendly hotels
Ways that Luxury Villas May Not Be Better for You than Luxury Hotels
These are ways in which villa rentals may not be a great fit for your personal travel style.
• Isolated: Villas are usually set in a residential part of town. If you like to stay in the thick of things near attractions and nightlife, a villa rental is likely to fall short
• No 24-hour room service: If you cherish the right to order burgers and rum-and-Cokes from room service at 2 A.M., don't expect compliance from a villa cook
• The D.I.Y. factor: Hotels have desk attendants, concierges, plumbers, kids' clubs, and other conveniences on call. At a luxury villa, you're more on your own, with only part-time maid and (sometimes) cook or butler service, and a rental agent or club a continent away.
(Some villas do come with local concierge service)
• No restaurant, bar, spa, or casino: In a hotel, your dining and entertainment are an elevator ride away. Not so in a villa
• Limited handicap access: Since villas are private lodgings, they don't have to meet public standards for handicap access
• Less information: When you research a hotel, you have many media resources, reviews, and images to inform you (many right here on About). But if you're renting a private villa one-on-one, all you may have to go by is the agent's or owner's description and photos
Find out More about Luxury Villa, Home, and Apartment Rentals
• Learn how to find a reputable villa agent and the right villa
• Get help from a Virtuoso travel agent or other trusted professional
• Read about villas' value aspect in this New York Times story
• Wade into the Web's sea of villa rental sites.
One good place to get your feet wet is HomeAway, which appealingly refers to itself as "the Ministry of Detourism"
• Take a look at our picks for the amazing villas from Luxury Rentals from HomeAway and also Rental Escapes
• Check out authority Wendy Perrin's Worldwide Villa Rental Guide