You're planning a trip to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or Finland, or maybe more than one of those Nordic countries, and you're getting into the full-on experience from the get-go by flying on Scandinavian Airlines, which serves many cities in all four countries. It's always smart to know the baggage allowance and rules before you check in so you can pack appropriately and not be caught with a bag that's too big or too heavy or want to check too many without being charged.
Scandinavian Airlines allows one carry-on bag for free. It can be no more than 22 inches (55 centimeters) high, 16 inches (40 centimeters) wide, and 9 inches (23 centimeters) deep. It must weigh 18 pounds (18 kilograms) or less. If you are flying to or from the United States or Asia in SAS Plus or Business, you are allowed two carry-on bags, both weighing 18 pounds or less. All passengers can also bring onboard a handbag or laptop bag for free. Liquids and gels in carry-on bags or handbags must be in containers that are no larger than 3.38 ounces (100 milliliters). If you are flying on a small aircraft, you might be asked to leave your carry-on bag at the door of the aircraft. It will be checked with no charge and will be returned to you at the door when you leave the plane. Read the most updated list of prohibited items before you pack your carry-on bags.
Checked Baggage by Ticket Type
If you're flying from the United States to any Scandinavian country, it's likely you'll need to check at least one bag.
Here are the rules about checked bags.
- Go Light ticket: No extra bags for free.
- SAS Go ticket: One additional bag up to 50 pounds (23 kilograms) for free.
- SAS Plus: Two additional bags, both up to 50 pounds (23 kilograms) for free. (If you are flying to from or within the United States on an interline itinerary, there could be additional costs.)
- SAS Business class to or from the United States and Asia: Two additional bags, both up to 70 pounds (32 kilograms) for free.
- Children under 2 years old: One bag, up to 50 pounds (23 kilograms), within a certain size parameter, plus a stroller for free. If you are flying on a Go Light ticket, you can still check one stroller for free, even though you can't check bags for free.
- EuroBonus Silver and Star Alliance Gold members: Check one extra bag for free.
- EuroBonus Gold and Diamond members: Check two free bags for free.
Checked Baggage Limits
Passengers can check up to four bags, but checking that many bags will cost you a fee. If you pre-pay for your extra bags at least 22 hours before departure, it'll cost less. If you need to travel with more suitcases, you have to ship them via cargo.
Oversized luggage (more than 70 pounds or 32 kilograms) needs to be sent by cargo. Ask about other kinds of special baggage, such as bikes, sports equipment, and musical instruments.