Los Angeles International Airport, which opened in 1928, is the fifth-busiest airport in the world and second-busiest in the United States.
The airport served nearly 70.7 million passengers, processed more than two million tons of air cargo valued at over $96.3 billion, and handled 636,706 aircraft operations (landings and takeoffs), all in 2014. An economic impact study of LAX found that airport operations generated 294,400 jobs in Los Angeles County with labor income of $13.6 billion and an economic output of more than $39.7 billion.
LAX is in the middle of a nearly $3 billion capital improvement program, which includes the New Tom Bradley International Terminal Project, new retail and food and beverage offerings and expanded areas for more efficient passenger and checked-luggage security screening, and immigration and customs processing.
1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045
Flight Status: LAX has a page showing the status of all departing and arriving flights in real time. Travelers can also type in specific flights for detailed information.
Getting to Los Angeles International Airport: The airport offers a free shuttle bus to the Metro Green Line Aviation Station and the Metro Bus Center. There's also the LAX FlyAway bus, Culver City Bus Lines, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus andTorrance Transit.
- Driving Directions
- Public Transportation
- LAX FlyAway
- Rental Cars
- Scheduled Buses
- Long Distance Shuttles
The airport's Central Terminal Area has nearly 8,000 parking spaces in eight structures across the street from its nine terminals. CTA garages charge $30 a day, while the economy lot costs $12 a day.
- Central Terminal Area
- Economy Parking
- Motorcycle Parking
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Cell Phone Lot
Maps of LAX Airport: PDF maps of the massive airport show directions on navigating the facility, along with how to access the parking lots.
Airlines at Los Angeles International Airport: LAX offers 692 daily flights to 85 domestic cities and 928 weekly nonstop flights to 67 cities in 34 countries on 59 airlines.
LAX Airport Amenities: The airport has tapped several concessions operators to completely overhaul the facilty's food/beverage and retail options, with an emphasis on local companies. LAX features outlets of iconic companies including Pink's Hot Dogs, ink.sak (created by 'Top Chef' winner Michael Voltaggio), Umami Burger, La Brea Bakery, Fred Segal's and See's Candy.
Hotels: LAX has nearly 800 hotels in different price points and amenities nearby. See some of our favorites:
- Marina Del Rey Hotel
- Shade Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
- Hyatt Place LAX El Segundo
- Hilton Garden Inn LAX/El Segundo
- Crystal Inn Suites & Spas - LAX
- Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne
- Super 8 Los Angeles Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton LAX North
- Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard
Los Angeles International Airport's art program was created to offer diverse and memorable art experiences to enhance and humanize the travel experience. The program features local and regional artists under temporary exhibitions, permanent art installations and cultural performances designed to show off the city's creative caliber. Current exhibits include:
- The airport's iconic series of 100-foot-high colorfully lit pylons and 32-foot-high letters spelling out “LAX”;
- See Change, a groundbreaking video art installation located in the Tom Bradley International Terminal;
Elevate, two bird-like formations of paper airplanes suspended in flight;
- Flow and Glimpse, a large-scale installation features 90 lenticular panels offering a detailed and diverse glimpse of L.A. on six walls of the atrium in Terminal 2; and
- Laurel Canyon, Chaparral Habitat: Native Flora and Fauna, which celebrates Los Angeles’ indigenous habitat and the importance native plants play in creating a working ecosystem, through a series of 12 “double portrait” woodcut prints on mulberry paper.
LAX has six nursing rooms available in terminals 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7/8. The rooms have a sink, a large comfortable bench, two power outlets for electric breast pumps, a table and a door that closes for more privacy.
- A Guide to Los Angeles Airports
- Hotels in Los Angeles - Guide to Finding the Best Place to Stay
- Parking at Los Angeles International Airport
- Top 10 Free Things to do in LA
- TV Show Tickets in LA
- Los Angeles Trip Planner