The annual Los Angeles County Holiday Celebration is an admission-free, three-hour seasonal music and dance show. Twenty performing groups from throughout L.A. County - including choirs, music ensembles, and dance companies represent the diversity of cultures across Southern California. The concert is funded as a gift from the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors to the community at large. The entire three hours is simulcast live on PBS So Cal public television.
It will also stream live at at pbssocal.org.
When: December 24, 2016, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, doors open at 2:30. Entertainment on the plaza for those waiting in line begins at 12:30 pm.
Where: Dorothy Chandler Pavilion of the Music Center, 135 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles 90012
Parking: Free in the Music Center parking garage
Info: www.holidaycelebration.org, (213) 972-3099
Note: People come and go at this event, so if you don't get in with the first wave of people, you can enter when the family and friends of the first performers leave.
• California Feetwarmers*, a seven-piece ragtime, Dixieland blues and early swing band, will perform holiday favorites.
• Citrus Singers, a 40-member voice and handbell ensemble from Citrus College, will perform Christmas songs featuring handbells.
• Colburn Children’s Choir and Young Men’s Ensemble, a youth choir from the Colburn School of Performing Arts, will perform a medley of holiday songs.
• Cuba L.A.*, a seven-member music ensemble, will make their Holiday Celebration debut with Latin jazz renditions of holiday standards.
• Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles will return to the program with traditional holiday repertoire.
• Grandeza Mexicana Folk Ballet Company will present folklórico dance from the region of Tabasco, Mexico.
• Greater Los Angeles Cathedral Choir, a 35-member ensemble, will perform gospel renditions of holiday songs.
• Harmonic Bronze Handbell Ensemble, a music ensemble of 11 to 18-year-olds from the Antelope Valley, will perform a classical handbell piece celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah.
• JazzAntiqua Dance & Music Ensemble will present a new dance piece with live jazz music inspired by the African-American spiritual “Wade in the Water.”
• Kayamanan Ng Lahi, a 16-member Filipino dance company, will perform festive dances from the provincial lowland/coastal region of the Philippines.
• Kim Eung Hwa Dance Company, a nine-member Korean dance company, will perform a traditional fan dance.
• Lorenzo Johnson & Praizum, 20 singers will perform an upbeat contemporary rendition of “Go Tell It on the Mountain.”
• Los Angeles Chamber Choir*, a 32-member voice ensemble, will make their Holiday Celebration debut with a beloved 16th century advent hymn.
• Palmdale High School Choral Union and Sunday Night Singers, a chorus from the Antelope Valley, will present a traditional holiday repertoire.
• Pasadena Christian School Children’s Choir*, a 50-member children’s chorus led by Barbara Allen, will perform light-hearted holiday songs featuring choralography.
• QVLN (Q-Violin)*, Quetzal Guerrero will bring his “Brazil meets Jimi Hendrix on an electric violin” stylings to the Holiday Celebration with a seven-member ensemble playing an upbeat Latin fusion of the Christmas classic “Little Drummer Boy.”
• Southern California Brass Consortium, a 26-member ensemble from California State University of Long Beach, will play symphonic brass arrangements of holiday repertoire.
• Vox Femina Los Angeles, a choir of 34 women, will perform songs celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah.
* indicates groups new to the Holiday Celebration this year