Tips for Attending a Free Summer Concert at L.L. Bean in Freeport, Maine
Maine retailer L.L. Bean has a well-earned reputation for exceeding expectations, and the free L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series at the company's flagship store in Freeport, Maine, is no exception. Not only does L.L. Bean attract top talent like Gone West featuring Colbie Caillat for this series of evening concerts in Discovery Park, it puts on a good show when it comes to everything from accommodating large crowds to moving traffic out of parking lots at the end of the concert.
A few years ago, when Andy Grammer headlined the Labor Day weekend concert, the crowd was immense, but his performance still felt so intimate. Audience members even had the chance to give Andy a "high five" and snap selfies with him as he was taking the stage!
Here are insider tips for attending a concert, along with the L.L. Bean Summer Concert schedule for 2019.
L.L. Bean Summer Concert Tips
Want to make the most of your L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series experience? Here are 10 tips for attending a show based on our visits to see memorable performances by Daryl Hall and Andy Grammer.
1. Discovery Park, where the L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series is held, is located adjacent to the L.L. Bean flagship store at 95 Main Street in Freeport, Maine.
2. If you're in Freeport early on the day of a concert—or even the night before—you can stake out your spot in front of the stage ahead of time starting at midnight. Don't worry: It's Maine. Nobody will bother your blanket or chairs. Many folks claim their space hours before the concert is scheduled to begin. For the Andy Grammer show, we got one of the last ideal spots available at 4 a.m. on the day of the show.
3. Pack a cooler or picnic basket with refreshments. Although there are likely to be vendors on site, and there is a café inside the main L.L. Bean store that sells beverages and treats, it can be a bit tricky to navigate through the crowd to get outside the lawn area in front of the stage once the show begins.
4. Should you require restroom facilities during the concert, you'll find substantially shorter lines at the ladies' and men's rooms inside the neighboring L.L. Bean Home Store than inside the main flagship store. In both stores, restrooms are located on the second floor.
5. Bring a sweatshirt. It can be chilly in Maine after dark, even in the summertime. If you forget—the good news is that you can readily purchase a sweatshirt or fleece inside the L.L. Bean flagship store. Consider it an excuse to purchase an L.L. Bean logo-emblazoned souvenir.
More Tips for Attending Summer Concerts at L.L. Bean
6. L.L. Bean's summer concerts are definitely family-friendly. Just bring a few activities along to keep kids amused before the concert if you plan to arrive early. When pop stars like Andy Grammer are on the schedule, the concerts are teen-friendly, too. Sit to the right of the stage, and you may have the chance to interact with performers like Andy Grammer, who generously signed autographs and posed for selfies, as he walked from the L.L. Bean flagship store toward the Discovery Park stage.
7. Arriving late doesn't mean you won't enjoy the show. You may have to stand, however, or even walk around during the concert, as security makes sure exit paths are not blocked.
8. It's impressive how quickly cars are able to exit the parking lot following each concert. L.L. Bean staffers do an excellent job of moving cars out following the show.
9. Want to stay overnight at a hotel nearby? The Harraseeket Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn Freeport Downtown are both within walking distance of L.L. Bean's Discovery Park. You can also stay a bit farther down Route 1 at the Quality Suites, where you might find a better room rate.
10. L.L. Bean Summer Concert Series shows may be canceled in the event of inclement weather. For the latest schedule updates, call toll free, 877-755-2326.
L.L. Bean 2019 Summer Concert Schedule
L.L. Bean Concerts 2019 Summer Schedule
Note: There will be fireworks on the 4th of July at about 9 p.m.
Thursday, July 4, 7:30 p.m.
The War and Treaty
Saturday, July 6, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 13, 7:30 p.m.
Gone West featuring Colbie Caillat
Saturday, July 27, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 3, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 17, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 31, 7:30 p.m.
More 2019 Summer Events in L.L. Bean's Discovery Park include free yoga Monday through Friday from 8 to 9 a.m. starting July 5; outdoor films and food trucks every Friday evening starting July 5, Maine Maker Nights on Wednesdays, the Camp Sunshine Watermelon Festival (August 10) and Dog Days of August with DockDogs (August 24-25).