Orange County magnet schools provide an alternative to traditional public school education.
Anyone wishing to enroll in an OCPS magnet program is required to submit an application online through the School Choice website. This must be done during the year's application window. Placement into the program depends in part on how many seats are available for the specific grade and program. Popular programs fill up more quickly.
If more seats are available than the number of students applying, all eligible students are notified of acceptance and given detailed instructions on how to accept the invitation into the program. If more applications are submitted than the number of seats available, a lottery is used to select students for acceptance. Students will receive acceptance notices by mail with instructions on accepting the invitation. A wait pool is then created for all students not selected during the first lottery round.
A list of magnet schools and details on applying to the program are available on the Orange County Public Schools School Choice website. You can also obtain information by contacting each magnet school directly. A Magnet Fair is held each November to help parents choose the best possible school for their child. Because magnet programs can change each year, it is important to wait for updated information before making any final decisions or applying to any specific program.
Core Goals of the Magnet Program
The OCPS magnet program provides excellent opportunities to enrich students and develop their budding interests. The program cites these primary goals as its drivers:
- Give students the chance to exceed the basic requirements and achievement standards of Florida public school education
- Increase student body diversity through choice
- Promote equal access to a high-quality education
- Enhance student knowledge in ways that increase opportunities for personal and career success
- Enable beneficial school system reforms
Elementary School Magnets:
Siblings of all current elementary magnet students in Orange County are given admission preference. Visit each individual school's website and the School Choice website for more information on each individual program.
- Aviation and Aerospace Magnet Program - Durrance Elementary School
- Foreign Language Academy - Hillcrest Elementary School
- Two-Way Dual Language Program- Hunter's Creek Elementary School
- Dual Language Enrichment Program - Tildenville Elementary School
- Two-Way Developmental Bilingual Enrichment - Union Park Elementary School
Middle School Magnets:
Siblings of current middle school magnet students in Orange County are NOT given admission preference. Visit each individual school's website and the School Choice website for more information on each individual program.
- Arbor Ridge Middle School Magnet - Arbor Ridge School
- Howard Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts Magnet - Howard Middle School
- World Language Academy - Lakeview Middle School
- Middle Years International Baccalaureate Program Magnets - Carver Middle School, Lee Middle School, Memorial Middle School, Robinswood Middle School, Stonewall Jackson Middle School
High School Magnets:
Siblings of current high school magnet students in Orange County are NOT given admission preference. Visit each individual school's website and the School Choice website for more information on each individual program.
- Advanced Engineering Applications (AEA) Magnet - Apopka High School
- Aviation and Aerospace Engineering Magnet - Oak Ridge High School
- Center for International Studies (CIS) Magnet - Dr. Phillips High School
- Criminal Justice, Law and Finance Magnet - Boone High School
- Digital Media and Gaming Magnet - Oak Ridge High School
- Engineering, Science and Technology (EST) Magnet - Edgewater High School
- Global Technologies Magnet - University High School
- Hospitality Management Magnet - Oak Ridge High School
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Magnets - Cypress Creek, Evans, Jones, University, Winter Park, based on draw zones
- JA Academy of Leadership and Entrepreneurship - Oak Ridge High School
- Laser Photonics Academy Magnet - Wekiva High School
- Medical Arts Magnet - Jones High School
- Medical Careers Magnet - Apopka High School
- NAF Information Technology Magnet - Colonial High School
- Veterinary Animal Science and Services Magnet - Colonial High School
- Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Magnet - Dr. Phillips High School
Each individual magnet program has different criteria for acceptance and continued enrollment. It is important to check with each individual school and to carefully read any magnet contracts or other documents sent to you.
Also, magnet students are not typically eligible to transportation unless they are attending a magnet program in their school zone. The OCPS district website offers more information on transportation issues.