What is LEGOLAND Discovery Center?
The LEGOLAND® Discovery Center in Tempe, Arizona is the eighth Discovery Center built in the U.S., the other cities being Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City, Auburn Hills and Philadelphia. The first one was built in Berlin, Germany in 2007. Opened in April 2016, the 40,000 square-foot Tempe facility is all indoors (including the rides), making this a natural destination for air-conditioned family entertainment all year long, including during our five months of summer.
What Happens at LEGOLAND® Discovery Center?
- MINILAND is where you'll probably start your visit, with some of Arizona's most iconic buildings and attractions built from more than 1.5 million LEGO bricks.
- See your favorite LEGO® characters in the 4D Cinema.
- At the LEGO® Racers area, you can build your own vehicle and see how fast it goes on the test track. Did your wheels fly off? Back to the drawing board!
- Blast the bad guys with a laser in the Kingdom Quest Laser Rider. A child must be able to walk on their own power to ride.
- You have an impact on how the ride reacts at Merlin's Apprentice Ride. The more you pedal, the higher it goes. Children may ride with a parent when they are three feet tall. They may ride by themselves when they are four feet tall.
- At the play zone, the focus is on expending energy! Climb the walls! Play! Jump!
- The youngest LEGO® fans will enjoy the DUPLO® Farm with big bricks and a slide.
- Can your tall LEGO® tower withstand an earthquake? You can test that!
- Decidedly pink, Olivia's House is similar to a doll house where the kids can decorate, build and arrange accessories.
- - - - - -
Next Page: 15 Things to Know before You Go
15 Things to Know Before You Go
15 Tips and Factoids about LEGOLAND® in Arizona
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Center in Tempe is not like LEGOLAND® in California. It is not a huge, outdoor theme park with big rides or a water park. Discovery Centers are indoors and more about concentrated LEGO® fun and imaginative play.
- This attraction is designed for ages 3 - 10. Adults must be accompanied by a child age 16 and younger. That certainly doesn't mean that teens or adults can't have a good time -- they can, if they enjoy creating LEGO® masterpieces and bring a child with them.
- Tickets are issued at timed at intervals, every 15 minutes, to ensure that the facility does not become overcrowded. Once you have been admitted, there is no time limit to your stay -- until closing, of course.
- You'll start your LEGOLAND® Tempe adventure at the gift shop. Cover your children's eyes! Of course, you'll pass through on the way out as well. Tip: you don't have to pay admission to shop in the store; stop by any time you need a cool gift for a LEGO® fan.
- At MINILAND, there are plenty of interactive aspects and buttons to push. This is a display area, and you'll see many iconic Arizona landmarks there. can you identify them all?
- A typical visit might easily take 2-3 hours, depending on how intense your family's LEGO® aficionados are when presented with the opportunity to build and create! Make sure you purchase tickets at a time that allows everyone to enjoy all the features without having to rush through it.
- The Creative Workshop at the Model Builder Academy has classes regularly throughout the day.
- At the 4D Cinema, those cool LEGO® characters will entertain you for about 12 or 13 minutes. They rotate between two movies every 15 minutes.
- Check online for special holiday events and theme days.
- No outside food, but there is a cafe.
- Party packages are available for up to 10 children.
- From time to time, LEGOLAND® Discovery Center will host special events for both annual pass holders as well as the public.
- Once per month LEGOLAND® Discovery Center opens in the evening for two hours for those of us who are over 18 years old and want to play. On adult nights (second Thursday of the month), no children are permitted. All the attractions are open -- but don't get stuck in the slide at MINILAND! There will be themes and competitions on these evenings.
- Looking for coupons? LEGOLAND® Discovery Center occasionally partners with local restaurants for promotions. Keep your eyes peeled! Keep in mind that you can't use coupons for advance online purchases. That means that if you walk up to the attractions to buy your tickets, you might not be guaranteed entry at the time that's your first choice. Annual passes start at 60 per person. That means that if you intend to visit at least three times in a year an annual pass is worthwhile.
- Combination tickets for SEALIFE Arizona and LEGOLAND® are also available. SEALIFE does not have timed tickets but you must visit both on the same day. SEALIFE Arizona is right next door. How convenient is that? It isn't a coincidence -- both attractions are owned by the same company, Merlin Entertainments. It is a European Company.
- - - - - -
Next Page: Location, Schedule, Prices, Contact
Location, Schedule, Prices, Contact
Where Is It?
LEGOLAND® Discovery Center
5000 S. Arizona Mills Circle, Suite 135
Tempe, AZ 85282
It is right next door to SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium at Arizona Mills Mall.
How Much Does it Cost?
Everyone ages 3 and up pays the same amount: $22 per person plus tax (2016) in advance online. Once you purchase your tickets in advance online, you are guaranteed entry at that time. Children ages 2 and under are admitted free.
How to Get There
This map will help you get to Arizona Mills Mall where Legoland Discovery Center is located.
Where to Stay
There are several hotels right near Arizona Mills Mall:
SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall
5211 South Priest Drive, Tempe, AZ 85283
Ramada Inn Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall
1701 W. Baseline Road, Tempe, AZ 85283
TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall
5223 South Priest Drive, Tempe, AZ 85283
How to Contact LEGOLAND® Discovery Center in Tempe
Hours of Operation
LEGOLAND® opens at 9 or 10 a.m. depending on the season.
Note: LEGO and LEGOLAND are registered trademarks of The LEGO Group.
- - - - - -
Back to First Page: Overview of LEGOLAND Discovery Center
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.