01 of 06
A Look at The Langham, London: The First Grand Hotel
The Langham, London: World's First Grand Hotel
The Langham, London is an elegant Victorian hotel with 380 rooms and suites. It offers a quintessential London hotel experience for visitors who wish to enjoy British tradition and culture.
The Langham, London opened in 1865 and is considered Europe's first grand hotel. It reopened in 2009 after a three hundred million pound refurbishment. Celebrities who have been drawn to The Langham, London over the years include Oscar Wilde, Antonin Dvorak, Winston Churchill, Noel Coward, and Diana, Princess of Wales. The hotel is the flagship of Langham Hotels International, headquartered in Hong Kong.
Visitors arrive at The Langham, London amidst British fanfare. At night, the façade of The Langham, London is festively and alluringly lit. Any time, the most flavorful way to arrive is in a traditional London cab, Taxis enter a circular porte-cochere once used to greet horse-drawn coaches. The uniformed footmen are still there for you.
Location of The Langham, London
The Langham, London is situated on a quiet corner at 1 Portland Place in central London's Marylebone district. The hotel is steps from:
• Bustling Oxford Street and its shops
• Oxford Circus, a main station of the London Underground ("Tube")
• The BBC is across the street; the hotel has long been an informal clubhouse for legendary BBC announcers and reporters
• Bond Street's bespoke tailor shops
• Tranquil Regent's Park, a few minutes' pleasant walk away
Would you like staying at The Langham, London? Take the quiz >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Is The Langham, London the Right Hotel for Your Next London Vacation?
Will The Langham, London Be in Sync with Your Travel Style?
The Langham, London may be the right London hotel for you if:
• You like grand hotels with dignified service and traditional decor
• You're an Anglophile
• You demand a perfectly quiet hotel room
• You love dining in your hotel when its restaurants are great
• You always take advantage of your hotel's spa and/or gym
The Langham, London may not be your ideal London hotel if:
• You don't like vintage hotels, however legendary
• You seek a contemporary setting with a cutting-edge vibe
• And you're looking for trendy nightlife
See what The Langham London's hotel rooms and suites are like >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Guest Accommodations at The Langham, London
Big, Beautiful Rooms and Suites at The Langham, London
The 380 rooms at The Langham, London blend classic proportions and architectural details with contemporary furnishings. It's a very appealing style.
Rooms range from trim, comfortable Classic rooms to a variety of suites. The biggest is the nearly 5,000-square-foot Sterling Suite, shown above. It has two bedrooms, a library, and more.
My suite was nearly 600 square feet. It was furnished plushly but not fussily, with a beautiful wood parquet floor. The suite's centerpiece was its luxurious, gloriously comfortable king bed. Other room highlights:
• Study with a writing desk and armoire
• Touch-sensitive minibar
• Full-length gilt mirror
• Working fireplace
• Three closets with robes, slippers, and a safe
• Pod coffeemaker, fruit basket, complimentary Hildon water
• Bose wave radio with iPhone/iPod
• Vase of roses
Langham, London suites' sizable bathrooms contain:
• A blue marble floor
• Deep, sunken tub ample enough for two
• An enclosed shower with good water pressure
• His-and-hers sinks
• Deluxe amenities including Quercus by Penhaligon toiletries
Room drawbacks at The Langham, London are few:
• Lighting operation is confounding; I am pretty handy but still had to call engineering to show me how to control the system
Club Lounge at The Langham, London
The hotel's VIP Lounge called the Langham Club. Privileges are conferred upon guests in rooms of the Grand Junior Suite category and above. Complimentary offerings include:
• A deluxe breakfast
• Hot and cold snacks and canapés
• Hot dishes during the evening
• An open bar with top-shelf liquors like premium Scotch
• See if a club-floor upgrade is worth it to you
See if you'd like The Langham London's dining and drinking venues >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Restaurants & Bar at The Langham, London Hotel
High Tea Was Invented Right Here at The Langham, London
High tea is a beloved English tradition now. But this splendid tradition was established right here at The Langham, London in the years after the hotel opened in 1865.
The Langham, London's high tea was first hosted by a lady-in-waiting to Queen Victoria, Anna Maria, Seventh Duchess of Bedford, as a novel form of late-afternoon entertainment and social life for her "aristo" set. The hotel was the first commercial establishment to serve this refined pre-dinner meal.
Today's Tea Ritual: The Langham Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood
Today, The Langham, London's tea service is a signature of this hotel and Langham Hotels worldwide. The Langham Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood is beautifully served on English-made Wedgwood porcelain. It is served in The Langham, London's elegant Palm Court room, shown above. The surroundings are lovely, the service impeccable
The food served at this lovely tea service is creative and delicious, with an emphasis on modern desserts. Amongst Executive Pastry Chef Cherish Finden's creations is a chocolate cake with flavors of espresso and amaretto; a chocolate-and-yuzu confection; and marzipan macaron sin strawberry and lemon. All are served on a harmonious Wedgwood plates.
The Langham, London's Famous Restaurant Roux at The Landau
The hotel's upscale restaurant, Roux at the Landau, is run by Michel Roux, the London celebrity chef. He achieved three Michelin stars at Michael’s Waterside Inn, the famous restaurant located on the Thames.
Roux at the Landau is an excellent bet for dinner. The restaurant is also a draw for its international breakfasts: English, Continental, Japanese, and Lebanese.
Artesian Bar at The Langham, London
The hotel's Artesian Bar at The Langham, London (seen above) is a draw for Langham guests and Londoners alike. It offers seductive atmosphere and hand-crafted cocktails made with classic technique and modern ingredients.
Read about the top-shelf spa & gym at The Langham London >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Spa & Fitness at The Langham, London
Spa and Fitness at The Langham, London
The Langham, London's various fitness options are known as The Langham Health & Fitness Club. Its offerings include:
• Chuan Spa, with a seductive Asia vibe, offers both Western and Eastern and Western treatment modes, like TCM (traditional Chinese medicine); a small Vitality Pool; steam and sauna baths, and meditation areas
• The 24-hour Fitness Center, with state-of-the-art TechnoGym equipment (cardio and circuit-training machines) and roving personal.
• A 16-meter (52 1/2 feet) lap pool and Jacuzzi
How to connect with The Langham, London >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with The Langham, London Hotel
The Langham, London: For More Info
• The Langham, London's website
• By phone (+44) 20 7636 1000 and via email
• On Facebook and on Twitter
• The Langham, London,1c Portland Place, Regent St. London, U.K. W1B 1JA
• Meet The Langham, Chicago (in a fab landmark building)
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit and High Tea for the purpose of describing the hotel.