A stay at Lake Quinault Lodge is like stepping through a portal to a simpler, more gracious time. The shingled Main Lodge and its satellite buildings extend out like arms to create a zone shielded from the hectic pace of daily life, all overlooking picturesque Lake Quinault. Adirondack-style chairs invite you to relax with a drink on the Lodge's deck or lawn, taking in the surrounding garden, lake, and forest view. If you're there for a long weekend, you can park you car and forget about it - there are enough indoor and outdoor activities available within walking distance of Lake Quinault Lodge to keep you pleasantly occupied.
Swimming, boating, or a game of horseshoes are all available right at the Lodge. Nearby, 15 miles of hiking trails wind through the verdant rain forest, past streams and waterfalls. My hike on the Quinault Loop Trail was a highlight of the trip. The Roosevelt Dining Room will prepare you for the day's activities with delicious hot breakfasts and will satisfy you with an elegant Northwest dinner after you've worked up a hearty appetite.
Where is Lake Quinault Lodge:
Lake Quinault Lodge is located on Lake Quinault just outside the southwest border of Olympic National Park. To get there from US Highway 101, go north on S. Shore Road for approximately 2.5 miles.
345 South Shore Road
Quinault, WA 98575
In addition to the historic Main Lodge, Lake Quinault Lodge offers accommodations in several buildings on lodge grounds.
- Main Lodge - quaint rooms with bathrooms and a queen bed or two double beds
- Fireplace Rooms - deluxe rooms with gas fireplaces, decks with views, TVs, queen beds, and a sitting area that includes a queen-sized sleeper sofa
- Lakeside Rooms - spacious, modern rooms with televisions and balconies with lake views that are partially obscured by a stand of trees between the building and the beach
- The Boathouse - rustic, family-friendly rooms with private bathrooms and a charming wrap-around porch
Lake Quinault Lodge provides a warm and gracious setting that will make your stay both fun and comfortable.
- Lobby - whether you sit in front of the huge fireplace or a window with a lake view, the lobby is a wonderful place to hang out and relax
- Indoor heated pool and sauna
- Recreation room - board games, puzzles, and ping pong
- Gift shop - Northwest-themed gift items
- Beautiful grounds - relax on the spacious deck or the gazebo and enjoy the beautifully-landscaped grounds that frame the lake and forest views
Food & Drink:
Lake Quinault Lodge is worth a visit just for the chance to take a meal in the Roosevelt Dining Room. During my stay I particularly enjoyed a breakfast of their sweet potato pancakes. The lunch menu features salads, burgers, and sandwiches while the dinner menu features ingredients from the Northwest. The Roosevelt Dining Room has a wonderful view of the lodge grounds and the lake. While there, be sure to check out the historic photographs of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's 1937 visit to the Lodge.
Weddings, group meetings, family reunions, and other group events can all be accommodated at Lake Quinault Lodge. A professional coordinator is available to answer your questions and help arrange your event (360-288-2908).
Things to Do at Lake Quinault Lodge:
Outdoor lovers will find Lake Quinault Lodge a wonderful base for recreation and scenery.
- Boating - a variety of watercraft, including canoes and kayaks, are available to rent
- Swimming - the lodge has its own Lake Quinault beach and swimming area
- Hiking - you can access a network of hiking trails right from the Lodge, including the Quinault Loop Trail and the Rainforest Nature Trail. Several other trail heads are within easy driving distance.
- Humungous Trees - a number of world-record trees are located in the Quinault Rain Forest, including the largest Western Red Cedar at 19.5 feet in diameter
- Get a massage
Pets are allowed in some rooms at Lake Quinault Lodge.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with discounted accommodations for the purpose of reviewing those services. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.