Warm spring weather also brings with it a greater likelihood of rain for May in Krakow.
May Weather in Krakow
- Average temperature: 17ºC / 63ºF
- Average high: 21ºC / 70ºF
- Average low: 12ºC / 54ºF
What to Pack for Krakow in May
Don't forget a small, portable umbrella if you experience a sudden spring shower. A jacket or wrap is essential for evenings or cloudy days.
May Holidays and Events in Krakow
May's Krakow events calendar will appeal to a variety of travelers – from athletes to art aficionados, to music lovers, to children.
- The Krakow International Film Festival is a well-established event that takes place every may.
- Photomonth, or the Krakow Month of Photography, brings photography to all corners of the city. Exhibition spaces range from the usual to the extraordinary, and even moving vehicles serve to show off photography representing an element of that year's theme.
- The Krakow Marathon will appeal to sports enthusiasts, though getting around any city can be difficult on the day of a marathon!
- The majority of Poland's residents are Roman Catholic, but that doesn't mean that Eastern Orthodoxy hasn't been influential. During May, the Encounters with Orthodox Church Music Festival brings music from the east to Krakow.
- Krakow's Night of the Museums, which opens museums and other venues to the public until late into the evening for a nominal fee, usually occurs in May.
- Head to Krakow's Kazimierz district to celebrate food and music during the International Soup Festival. A lively competition ensues between restauranteurs to establish who serves the best bowl of broth or the savoriest stew.
- During Juwenalia, Krakow is overrun by students celebrating before the summer exams. For three days, concerts and parades set the tone for this holiday that recognizes students. Krakow's large university population ensures that Juwenalia is an especially lively event.
- The Dragon Parade in Krakow occurs in late May or early June. Students from Poland's schools create dragons to parade by the river, and music and other events accompany the parade. On this day, the Wawel Castle dragon truly comes to life!