Kids That Rip is an indoor skatepark in Mesa, Arizona with 10,000 square-feet of air-conditioned, state-of-the-art Street Skate Park. There's a Vert Ramp, a Desert Bowl, a Mini-Mega Ramp, a Stair and Handrail System, a Mini- Ramp and Spine, a Rail and Ledge system and a Woopty to Train Tunnel. There are big and small ramps, adjustable rails and ledges, mats and foam pits so the skateboarder can safely advance at his or her own pace safely.
Kids That Rip is organized into programs for different ages and levels of experience. There are the Mini-Rippers (3 to 7 years old), the Rippers (beginners from 8 - 15 years old), the Shredders (intermediate 8 to 15 year old) and the Kids That Rip (advanced technical/professional training). Age distinctions for these programs are a simply a guideline; children are accepted into the programs based on experience level more than age.
The Kids That Rip Indoor Skatepark is in the same building as Desert Devils Gymnastics and Desert Devil Cheer.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skatepark Factoid: Kids That Rip! uses Skatelite, which is the smoothest riding surface. Reduced friction results in fewer skin abrasions, otherwise known as ramp rash).
Fun For Little Ones
The Mini-Rippers program is designed for ages 3 to 7 years old, and focuses on the basics and having fun.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skatepark Factoid: Thinking of having a Skateboard Party? Saturdays and Sundays are the days when you can arrange for instructor-led fun in the skate park. You bring your own food and party supplies.
What Do Adults Do at Kids That Rip Indoor Skate Park?
Some parents drop their children off, and some parents stay to watch the kids during their sessions. Parents may stand and watch along the perimeter of the facility -- that goes for both skateboard programs as well as the gymnastics and cheer sessions. There is also a small spectator area upstairs where nonparticipants can wait and watch.
There is no charge for parents to come in and watch. Snacks and beverages are sold here, but no sandwiches or "real" food.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skatepark Factoid: Check out Spring and Summer Camp programs for ages 5 through 15.
Desert Devils Gymnastics and Desert Devil Cheer
At the same location as the skate park you'll find both Desert Devils Gymnastics and Desert Devils Cheer programs for kids of all ages.
Desert Devils Gymnastics has been in the Valley for the past 35 years, and has produced over 650 State Champions, 35 National Champions, and 2 World Champions. Classes have a low student to teacher ratio, allowing for a higher quality of developmental gymnastics and tumbling.
Desert Devils Cheerleading is an award-winning All-Star Competitive Cheerleading program. beginning, intermediate and advanced classes are offered, as well as competitive team training.
Desert Devils Gymnastics Factoid: Many of the gymnastic coaches are former elite gymnasts and/ or professional physical trainers.
Can Nonmembers Use the Skate Park?
The Kids That Rip skateboard programs are designed basically for members, and new members are required to sign up for a minimum 3-month commitment. There are some times when nonmembers can enjoy the Kids That Rip! facility:
- Members can bring a friend age 15 and under on Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m. and Saturdays from 1 to 3 p.m. Activities include Hip Hop Dance Instruction, High Ollie Contest, Dodge Ball, Crab Tag, Basketball Shoot-Off, Monkey Bar Climb Off. Activities may change from time to time and are age specific.
- "Parents Night Out" is offered every third Saturday of the month. From 6 to 10 p.m. children ages 3 through 15 enjoy activities such as trampoline, hip hop dance instruction, games, skateboarding, and eat pizza.
- Open skate for all ages (adults welcome) is offered on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Saturday of the month from 7 to 10 p.m.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skatepark Factoid: Every person who comes to Kids That Rip must sign a liability waiver. You can download that form from the Kids That Rip web site before you go.
Hours, Location, Cost
Kids That Rip Indoor Skatepark programs are open to both boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 15.
Fees are charged on a monthly basis with rates for between 1 and 6 hours per week. Most programs recommend at least 2 sessions per week. The more sessions per week, or the more siblings are registered, the lower the cost per visit. Sessions are one hour long.
Kids That Rip! Hours
Kids That Rip has scheduled sessions for members Monday through Friday starting at 3 p.m. On weekends the open skate and party slots happen between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. Check the schedule online for specific times. Always check the Kids That Rip! official web site or call before you go if you are not a member enrolled in regular sessions.
Kids That Rip! Location
Kids That Rip Indoor Skate Park is in Mesa, Arizona. The address is:
1927 N. Gilbert Rd.
Mesa, AZ 85203
That's at the southeast corner Gilbert Road and McKellips Road.
Contact Kids That Rip!
You can get more information about Kids That Rip by calling 480-844-9600 or by visiting them online.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skatepark Factoid: Interested in a program that combines actual academics with skateboarding? Call and ask about Skateboard School.
Kids That Rip! Indoor Skate Park FAQ
Ten Things You Should Know About Kids That Rip!
- This is a busy place after school! When I visited on a weekday afternoon there were more than 200 kids of all ages doing gymnastics, practicing cheer and at the skate park. They are all in the same building.
- The look of the place is not high tech, and not shiny and new. It has been here for many years.
- On the day I visited there were definitely an adequate number of staffers for the number of children in the various sessions.
- Most of the skate park time is allocated into member sessions. That means that the little kids have their own time, and won't be run over by the bigger kids.
- Open skate sessions for members on Saturdays during the day are limited, and registration in advance is recommended.
- Are your younger relatives visiting for the week? Nonmembers who want to have their kids participate in a session may be allowed to do so for a fee. Call and ask, with as much advanced notice as you can.
- There is no equipment to be purchased or rented here; everyone must have their own skate boards, helmets and pads. No inline skates or bicycles are permitted.
- Food or drinks are not allowed in the areas where the kids are doing gymnastics, cheer or skateboarding. Bottles of water may be left around the perimeter wall. Lockers are available.
- Call and ask about drop-in tumbling and games for very young kids if you need some adult time.
- While new hires are subject to employment/reference checks, there are no criminal background checks at the time of this writing. (2010)
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.