Ten miles southwest of the famous Fallingwater, along with a winding mountain road, is a second residence designed by pre-eminent architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Kentuck Knob, blending impeccably with its surroundings, is a superb example of Wright's organic architecture. Commissioned in 1953 and completed in 1956 for the Hagan family of Uniontown, Pennsylvania (of Hagan Ice Cream fame), Kentuck Knob represents the realization of Wright's achievement during his 70-year career.
Kentuck Knob, also known as the Hagan House, is based on the Usonian model, typically a single, compact floor plan based upon a modular grid system. In this case, the module is an equilateral triangle and is constructed of native stone, tidewater cypress and copper. Interesting features include the use of radiant heat in the concrete floors, a 'workspace' rather than a kitchen and a flat gable roof. The house stands out for its quality, pristine condition and harmonious connection to the rural mountain site on which it stands.
The beautiful interior of Kentuck Knob, at once expansive and intimate, is the setting for the notable collection of historic artifacts and post-WWII sculpture of its current owners, Great Britain's Lord and Lady Palumbo, who are dedicated patrons of the arts both at home and abroad. Spectacular views and beautiful landscaping also combine to make Kentuck Knob well worth the visit.
Kentuck Knob Tours
Situated on a mountainside in the rural Kentuck District of Stewart Township, Fayette County, Kentuck Knob is located just seven miles from Fallingwater on Kentuck Road (Chalk Hill - Ohiopyle Road) off of U.S. Route 40 (the National Road).
Multiple tour options are available from March–December (daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except Wednesdays, when tours start at 12 p.m.):
- Approximately 40 minutes (allow 2 hours total to visit)
- Children must be at least 6 years old
- Reservations recommended
- Adults: $22
- Children (6-18): $16
- Approximately 90 minutes
- Children must be at least 9 years of age
- Advance ticket purchase is required
- Adults: $60
- The minimum number of people for a group rate is 10
- Allow up to 90 minutes for the tours
- Guided House Tour: $18.50 per adult; $13.50 per college or high school student; $12 per child
- In-Depth House Tour: $35 per person
- Group House Tour: $35 per person
- Boxed lunches from Ohioply Bakery available on request
- Monthly, farm-to-table Appalachian dinners (through September 2015): $95 per person
- Curator's Tour: $85 per person
- Brunch Tour: $85 per person
- Sunset Tour: $85 per person
- Advanced purchase required
The above rates and times are subject to change. Please call (724) 329-1901 or visit the Web site for the most current rates and information.
723 Kentuck Road
Chalk Hill, PA 15421