On a summer road trip, you are likely to rely on your car's air conditioning much more than usual. Worried that overusing your A/C is doing a number on your gas mileage?
Ford Motor Company has come up with these simple ways to help you run your A/C more efficiently and stay cool this summer, no matter where your road trip takes your family:
- Prior to your road trip, bring your car in for a periodic maintenance and ask if the cabin air filter needs to be replaced. Never just remove the filter; always replace it.
- Before you and your kids get into a hot car, push out hot air by lowering the windows completely.
- Use the max A/C button for a minute or two to quickly cool down your car.
- If the temperature inside the car gets too cold, don’t switch the unit off. Turning the A/C on and off is inefficient. Instead, adjust the temperature or fan speed to help keep the temperature consistent.
- Are you too cold in the front seat, but the kids are too hot in the back seat? Instead of shutting the A/C vents in the front, redirect them to the ceiling or sides of the vehicle to keep air flowing to the rear.
- Park in the shade whenever possible or use a reflective windshield shade. These strategies can dramatically reduce heat buildup in a parked vehicle.