When it's hot in Kansas City and there's no rain in sight, it's time to jump into one of the area's wonderful pools, take advantage of a full-service water park, or dip your toe into a sprayground (a cooling playground with sprayers and sprinklers). Don't settle for your neighbor's pool down the street— go big or go home at one of Kansas City's top facilities, equipped with special features like slides, thrill rides, and lazy rivers.
01 of 08
Oceans of Fun
Many local residents rate this tropically themed water park as the area's and best spot to cool off in the summer. Oceans of Fun is also one of the biggest water parks in the area, housing more than 13 thrill rides, family water rides, slides, and gentle water activities for little ones.
- Where: 4545 Worlds of Fun Ave., just off the East loop of I-435 at Exit 54, Kansas City, Missouri
02 of 08
Schlitterbahn Kansas City
The famous Schlitterbahn water park chain had a slow start when it was introduced to the Kansas City Metro in 2009, but today, it's running full speed ahead with attractions like the Boogie Bahn, Cyclone, and Whirlwind. If thrill rides aren't your thing, you can also rent a private cabana to lounge in or have a picnic in the park. There are a variety of ticket prices options that range from all-day to two-day passes and more.
- Where: 9400 State Ave., Kansas City, Missouri
03 of 08
Adventure Oasis Water Park
Adventure Oasis is a summer delight—hundreds of locals come here to cool off and beat those hot KC days. The water park features a lazy river, slides, a children's play-and-spray area, and a lap pool.
- Where: 2100 Hub Dr. (just off 23rd Street, west of the Route 291 intersection), Independence, Missouri
04 of 08
Tiffany Springs Aquatic Park
Tiffany Springs Aquatic Park opened in spring 2006. This huge park not only has an Olympic-size swimming pool, a vector pool, a spray ground, and a splash park for little ones, but also a huge lazy river and water slides.
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Where: 9400 N. Congress Ave. (Tiffany Hills Park, behind Tiffany Springs Honda), Kansas City, Missouri
05 of 08
Tomahawk Ridge Aquatic Center
Tomahawk Ridge is an outdoor pool with many bells and whistles that is open seasonally. It is the largest pool facility in Overland Park, which is the second largest city in the Kansas City metropolitan area. The facility has diving boards, water slides, and a zero-depth entry zone with cooling fountains and shade structures. It also offers a picnic shelter that's available to rent, which is a handy resource for birthdays and events.
- Where: 11950 Lowell Ave., Overland Park, Kansas
06 of 08
Leawood Aquatic Center
The Leawood Aquatic Center is a favorite water facility in the area for locals. It has a huge main pool, a zero-depth entry pool, a slide, a giant whale for tots and the best kiddie pool in the town. Swimming and diving lessons, fitness programs, and swim teams are also available to join.
- Where: 10601 Lee Blvd., Shawnee Mission, Leawood, Kansas
07 of 08
The Parks and Recreation Department of Olathe, a city in the Kansas City Metropolitan area, manages four large outdoor pools that offer similar facilities, including raft water slides, a lazy river, shallow-water play structures, a kiddie pool, and more. Pick the one closest to you and have fun. The pools offer swim lessons, lifeguard training, and Water Safety Instructor training. They are the home of the Olathe Cyclones Swim and Dive Team.
- Black Bob Pool: 14500 W. 151st St. (in Black Bob Park), Olathe, Kansas
- Mill Creek Park Pool: 320 E. Poplar St.(in Mill Creek Park), Olathe, Kansas
- Frontier Pool: 15909 W. 127th St., Olathe, Kansas
- Oregon Trail Pool: 1800 W. Dennis Ave., Olathe, Kansas
08 of 08
Kansas City Spraygrounds
While they are not quite swimming pools, these spraygrounds are a great place for anyone to beat the heat. Spraygrounds are water playgrounds where children can play and cool off on safe surfaces with the help of sprinklers. The city began constructing them in 2006, and their numbers have been continually increasing. They are all free, and they all open on Memorial Day and close on Labor Day.
- Douglas Park: 2632 Jarboe St., Kansas City, Missouri
- Harmony Park: 10th St. and Agnes, Kansas City, Missouri
- Longview: 7101 Longview Rd., Kansas City, Missouri
- Loose: 52nd Terrace and Summit, Kansas City, Missouri
- Parade: The Paseo and Truman Rd., Kansas City, Missouri
- Sunnyside: 8255 Summit St., Kansas City, Missouri
- And more: For the full list, consult the KC Parks and Recreation department's spray grounds web page, where you'll also find information on each sprayground, or call the department's main phone number.