If it snows, the first thing children want to know is whether they will have a snow day. The kids enjoy the day off with snow play and the parents, well, they have to adapt. To find out whether schools will close in a snowstorm or other weather-related incidents, parents stay glued to local radio and television reports.
In case of inclement weather or emergencies in the Kansas City region, there are several ways to find up-to-date information about school closings and delays, and the latest weather. From the same sources, you will also learn about the cancellation of snow days.
In addition, we also list public school districts, private schools, and charter schools in both Missouri and Kansas and their websites in case you need to contact the school directly.
Local Information for School Closings and Weather Emergencies
These news outlets maintain weather closing and delay information on their websites.
- KSHB 41 provides up-to-date weather closings and delays for schools, churches, and the community. You can sign up for alerts.
- FOX 4 lists bad weather closings.
- KCTV 5 has an updated school, government, and church closing list.
- KMBC 9 has a school and weather-related closings page.
- The Kansas City Star newspaper has online weather-related school and community closings:
- KCUR has a page for weather-related closings.
- KCMO Talk Radio announces weather-related closings.
National Information on Closings and Weather
For areas outside the Kansas City Metro, you can find information on delays and closings on these sites:
- Cancellations.com is a public service of AccuWeather and lists, by zip code, the latest weather-related cancellations, closings, and delays for schools, businesses, churches, and community organizations.
- U.S. National Weather Service provides Kansas City-specific detailed weather information and alerts and you can do a search for other areas.
School Districts in Missouri
School district websites with direct contact information for questions and information about closures and delays:
- Belton School District
- Blue Springs School District
- Cass County Schools
- Excelsior Springs School District #40
- Fort Osage R-1
- Grain Valley School District RV
- Grandview School District
- Harrisonville R-IX
- Hickman Mills
- Independence School District #30
- Kansas City Missouri Public Schools
- Kearney School District
- Lee's Summit School District
- Liberty Schools
- Lone Jack C-6
- Midway Cass R-1
- North Kansas City School District
- North Platte School District
- Oak Grove School District
- Odessa R-VII
- Park Hill School District
- Platte County R-3
- Pleasant Hill R-3
- Raymore-Peculiar School District
- Richmond School District
- Smithville R-2
- St. Patrick's
- St. Therese North
- St. Theresa's
- St. James Catholic Church School
- West Platte
School Districts in Kansas
School district websites in Kansas with direct contact information for questions and information about closures and delays:
Private Schools (Missouri and Kansas)
- The Barstow School
- Bishop Miege
- Bishop Ward
- Diocese of Kansas City–St. Joseph
- De LaSalle
- Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy
- Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas
- Notre Dame de Sion
- Pembroke Hill School
- Our Lady of Angels
- Our Lady of Lourdes
- Our Lady of Peace
- Rockhurst High School
- St. Patrick's (KS)
- St. Patrick's (MO)
- St. Paul's Episcopal Day School
- St. Pius X High School
- St. Theresa's Academy
- St. Therese School North
- St. Thomas Aquinas
- St. Thomas Moore High School
- The Plaza Academy