01 of 03
Disney Jungle Cruise Ride at Disneyland California
Disney Jungle Cruise is on the surface a trip down a jungle river which replicates parts of the Nile, Burma's Irrawaddy River, Cambodia's Mekong, and Africa's Congo, but the real show here is the skipper and his stream of bad jokes and punny patter.
The Disney Jungle Cruise was one of the original Disneyland attractions, introduced on Opening Day, 1955.
What You Need to Know About the Jungle Cruise
We polled 375 of our readers to find out what they think about Jungle Cruise. 83% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time.
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- Location: Jungle Cruise is in Adventureland.
- Rating: ★★★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 9 minutes
- Recommended for: Everyone
- Fun Factor: Medium, if you don't mind the bad jokes. Low if you don't like slow rides
- Wait Factor: Medium
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Bad Joke Factor: High
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: The... ride vehicle is a boat. It has rows of bench seats facing the center. You step down from the dock to get into it.
- Accessibility: If you're in a wheelchair, go to the exit and ask a cast member for assistance. You will have to go up and down a few steps to get on and off the boat. If you're in an ECV, you'll have to transfer to a wheelchair first, then to the ride. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
02 of 03
How to Have More Fun on the Disney Jungle Cruise
- Younger children especially like this ride during the day
- If you're friendly with the skipper cast member and chat them up, they're likely to be funnier.
- The line at Jungle Cruise can be deceptive, making you think it's short when it isn't and luring you into a maze of queues that you may worry that you'll never escape. Check a wait times app or ask a Cast member if the wait time isn't posted.
- During the Christmas season, Jungle Cruise becomes the holiday Jingle Cruise and adds some fun extras, when a plane scatters its holiday cargo all over the rainforest
- Some people think the Jungle Cruise much better at night
Next Disneyland Ride: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended... Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Fun Facts About Disney Jungle Cruise
Disney Jungle Cruise is one of only two Disneyland attractions where a cast member rides with you (the other is Storyland Canal Boats). It's also one of the few Disneyland rides that is not based on a Disney animated film, although you may notice that the boats resemble the one Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart went on in The African Queen.
Walt Disney originally wanted to use real animals on the Jungle Cruise, but when he found out that many of them were nocturnal, he turned to mechanical ones instead.
Jungle Cruise is one of the original Disneyland attractions that were in the park on opening day in 1955.
"Weird Al" Yankovic wrote and recorded a song titled "Skipper Dan" about a failed actor who ended up as a guide on the Jungle Cruise, but sometimes those skippers often go on to bigger things. According to MentalFloss.com, famous wisecracking skippers include Kevin Costner, John Lasseter, and Richard Nixon's press secretary Ron Ziegler.
The water in the... Jungle Cruise isn't dirty by accident. Its clarity is deliberately reduced to obscure the boat's guidance system and other unsightly items.
Just outside Jungle Cruise entrance, look for a large palm tree. It's the oldest thing in Disneyland and dates back to the late 1800s. When Walt Disney bought the Dominguez family's land for the park, they asked him to spare the tree. Disney obligated and moved the 15-ton tree from the parking lot area to its current location.
If you can't get enough of those wise-cracking skippers, check out Skipper Show, which features stand-up comedy from a group of former cast members.
Is It Different than the Jungle Cruise in Florida?
The jokes are no better in California, and the Anaheim ride doesn't have a cave section.
Next Disneyland Ride: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride