The Washington, DC area and its surrounding communities in Maryland and Virginia host lots of annual festivals and special events. All dates, prices, and activities mentioned are subject to change, so please check the official website or call to confirm information. Please note that most of these events are held each year and the dates are updated as available.
More Washington, DC Area Event Calendars
Movies and Concerts
- Free Summer Concerts: Find concert schedules for family entertainment throughout the month in various destinations around Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
- Outdoor Movies in the Washington, DC Area: Watching movies on a large screen outdoors has become a popular summer activity. Find the schedules of outdoor movie festivals in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
- Comcast Outdoor Film Festival in Alexandria: 2017 Dates to be Announced. See family-friendly outdoor movies in the heart of Alexandria.
- Bethesda Outdoor Movies: July 18-22, 2017, 9 p.m. See free outdoor movies in the heart of Bethesda, Maryland.
- Summer Theater in Washington DC: With dozens of performances around the region, here is the schedule of the top shows for the season.
- Capital Fringe Festival: July 6-30, 2017. This annual performing arts festival will feature more than 140 unique performances in multiple venues around Washington, DC.
- UniverSoul Circus: Through July 23, 2017. Landover, MD. Enjoy a big top showcase bursting with action-packed performances, colorful lights, pulsating music, and international soul.
- Wolf Trap's Children's Theatre-in-the-Woods: Tuesdays through Saturdays, Through August 2017. Family friendly performances in music, dance, storytelling, puppetry, and theater. (recommended for children ages 5-12)
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival: June 29-July 4 and July 6-9, 2017. Celebrate cultural traditions from around the world. The Festival includes daily and evening music and dance performances, crafts and cooking demonstrations, storytelling and discussions of cultural issues. This is one of Washington, DC’s most popular summer events.
- Alexandria Birthday and Independence Day Fireworks: July 8, 2017. Oronoco Bay Park, Alexandria, VA. The annual event includes children’s activities, a concert performed by the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra, birthday cake, and a fireworks extravaganza.
- Bastille Day Events: Various Dates. Celebrate French culture and commemorate the storming of the Bastille Prison in 1789 and the launch of the French Revolution. See a guide to special events in Washington DC.
- Independence Day at Mount Vernon: July 4, 2017. Special events include musical performances, a wreath laying ceremony, free birthday cake for all (while supplies last) and a visit by 'General Washington' himself.
- 4th of July Fireworks in the Washington DC Area: Find 4th of July fireworks and Independence Day celebrations on the National Mall and around the capital region in Maryland and Virginia.
- 4th of July Parades in DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia: Many communities in the area celebrate the holiday with a parade. Show your patriot spirit and enjoy a few hours of family fun.
- 4th of July Parties and Bar Crawls: Various Dates. Gather your friends and don your red, white and blue for a patriotic party to celebrate Independence Day.
- Washington Nationals Baseball: The Major League Baseball's National League East plays 81 home games each season at Nationals Park. Enjoy a fun-filled day cheering on DC's baseball team.
- Redskins Training Camp: 2017 Dates to be Announced. Redskins Park, Richmond, Virginia. Fans are invited to watch the Washington Redskins gear up for the season.
- Citi Open Tennis Classic: July 29-August 6, 2017. Rock creek Park Tennis Center, Washington DC. This is an annual men’s tennis tournament held in Washington, DC.
- Washington Kastles Tennis Tournaments: 2017 Dates to be Announced. The Washington Kastles begin their season of Mylan World Team Tennis (WTT), bringing live tennis tournaments to Washington, DC.
Fairs and Carnivals
- Baltimore/Washington One Caribbean Carnival: July 15-16, 2017. Baltimore, Maryland. The event features groups representing the Caribbean, Latin America and the Diaspora in colorful costumes portraying different themes, dancing to the sound of Calypso, Soca, Reggae, African, Haitian, Latin, and Steelband music.
- Loudoun County Fair: July 24-29, 2017. Family fun includes a carnival, rodeo-bull riding, dairy show, goat show, horseback demonstrations, magic acts, pet shows, floral exhibits, obstacle courses, tug-of-war, live musical entertainment, and more.
- Howard County Restaurant Weeks: 2017 Dates to be Announced. Howard County, Maryland. The Farm-2-Table summer dining specials offer a great opportunity to enjoy locally grown products while trying new restaurants and supporting local farmers and food and beverage purveyors.
- Brew at the Zoo: July 20, 2017. National Zoo, Washington DC. Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) host the annual event each summer that brings together more than 60 of the nation's finest microbreweries for beer sampling.
- Montgomery County Farm Tour: July 22-23, 2017. Explore local farms and purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, plants, and other local products. Several farms have hayrides, pony rides, music, demonstrations and other fun and educational activities for all ages.
More Washington, DC Area Event Calendars