Jamaica is one of the most popular islands in the Caribbean for nude beach lovers. There's something about the extensive beaches, hot sun, and availability of ganja that inspires honeymoon couples and other adults on romantic getaways to shed their clothing along with their inhibitions on Jamaica's golden beaches and inside its clothing-optional resorts.
Going nude isn't obscene or just for exhibitionists, though. If you venture into a place where it's safe to be nude and join in, you'll see all kinds of bodies. Most are there because they simply want to revel in the delicious freedom and sensual feeling of having no clothing between themselves and the sun and water.
Legality and Safety for Going Nude in Jamaica
However, going nude in public is technically against the law in Jamaica, but this law is only really enforced on public beaches that explicitly forbid nudity. Otherwise, there are parts of the island's beaches and private resorts where nudity is commonly enjoyed by sunbathers and the authorities don't intrude.
As a result, it's important to keep in mind that some areas are designated as "adults only," and these locations typically allow limited nudity such as a woman going topless at the beach. On the other hand, those specified as "all natural" indicate that full nudity for both women and men is accepted.
In terms of safety, most places designated as all natural are typically maintained by private resorts or individuals that patrol the shores for troublemakers. Resort areas typically are the safest places in the country to go nude since the beach-goers are all registered guests of the resort.
Most Popular Nude Beaches and Resorts in Negril
Slightly longer than its name indicates Seven Mile Beach in Negril on Jamaica's western coast is frequently named as one of the world's top beaches, especially for naked sunbathing. However, the safest places for adult recreation in Negril are on the beaches found within its resort hotels.
The following hotels and resorts are nude-friendly or have designated areas where it's acceptable to be fully naked. Many of these are all-inclusive and adults-only establishments, too, so you truly don't have to worry about a thing during your naturist vacation. Additionally, the best resorts offer amenities such as private beach beds and nude swim-up bars, and the opportunity to dive and snorkel as unencumbered as a fish is certainly enticing.
- Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa: Beachfront loft suites make this property particularly appealing to honeymoon couples; some women go topless on the beach, but not everyone participates
- Couples Swept Away: Topless sunbathing is permitted on the main beach, which is a part of Seven Mile Beach
- Couples Negril: The resort's nude beach is rarely crowded and has it's own hot-tub; however, the beach is directly in the eyesight of third-floor rooms in building six of the resort
- Hedonism II: One of these two beaches in Negril is specifically for nudists
- Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay: There's a nude beach to the left of this resort in Negril
- Grand Lido Negril: Grand Lido introduces luxury in Negril's first all-nude, all-inclusive resort; a private, oceanfront property, it's open to guests age 21 and over. Amenities include personalized meet-and-greet services plus access to an exclusive lounge at Sangster Airport, butler service at the resort, and daily hors d’oeuvres and snacks served poolside
- West End Beaches: Also on Jamaica's west end, resorts including the cliffside Banana Shout, Xtabi, and The Caves (a Travelers' Choice TripAdvisor awardee) have reserved nude bathing areas
Nude Beaches and Resorts Beyond Negril
Since Jamaica is an island ringed by beaches, there are many resorts along its numerous shores, many of which outside of Negril also offers the chance to sunbathe nude. For instance, there are a number of popular clothing-optional resorts and nude beaches in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean: To enjoy a private island idyll off Montego Bay, board the free shuttle at the hotel and then strip down and go nude on the part of the resort's offshore island set aside for nude sunbathing. Otherwise, you can also simply go topless at Royal Caribbean's main beach.
- Sandals Jamaica Montego Bay: With less room for totally nude sunbathing than nearby Sandals Royal Caribbean, some women at this property go topless on its beach.
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa: Between Negril and Montego Bay, the family-friendly all-inclusive Grand Palladium has a clothing-optional, adults-only area to sunbathe nude.
- Sunscape Splash Montego Bay: Although this property is family-friendly, the nude beach is a short stroll away and doesn't allow children.
- Couples San Souci: In Ocho Rios, nude sunbathing is permitted at the resort's larger beach, which has a swimming pool close to the sand.
- Couples Tower Isle: Twosomes who want to go clothes-free can strip down at this Ocho Rios resort's private offshore island, which boasts a bar and a swimming pool and is reachable by a free shuttle boat.