Jamaica Marriage License Requirements

sandals ochi ski terrace
Sandals Resorts.

Are you considering a destination wedding in Jamaica? Lucky you! Jamaica boasts some of the most romantic resorts in the Caribbean. Many of them are all-inclusives, where if you stay a certain number of days you may also be entitled to a modest free wedding. Before the wedding, though, you'll need a license, which you can obtain on the island.

According to the United States Embassy in Kingston, a legal marriage in Jamaica will produce a license that is also honored in the United States.

Jamaica Marriage License Laws

  • Waiting period: 24 hours. However, start the paperwork at least two weeks before the wedding
  • Apply and receive a marriage certificate from the Ministry of National Security (address below)

Jamaica Marriage License Fee

  • Cost of the license is approximately US $80 (equivalent to approximately 4,000 Jamaican dollars)
  • There are non-denominational Marriage Officers who can officiate either at their offices, in their homes or at a place chosen by the couple, and are able to provide witnesses. Marriage Officers charge anywhere from $50 – $250 in U.S. dollars

Identification Needed for a Jamaica Marriage License

  • Photo identification plus proof of citizenship (certified copy of birth certificate which includes both parties' fathers' names)
  • If previously married, present a certified copy of the death certificate or divorce decree
  • Parental consent if either party is under 18
  • Occupations of the bride and groom
  • Italian nationals must notify their embassy and a certified copy of their marriage certificate must be forwarded to their embassy to be legalized and translated
  • French Canadians need a notarized translated copy of all documents and a photocopy of the original French documents
  • Note: A blood test is not required

Where to Get a Marriage License in Jamaica

If you are staying at a resort with a wedding planner, she will normally help to guide you through the paperwork required to obtain your license. If you are handling the details on your own, you can phone, write or appear in person at:

The Ministry of National Security

Mutual Life Building

2 Oxford Road

Kingston 5, Jamaica

(876) 906-4908

The office is open Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. On Fridays, it closes an hour earlier at 4:00 pm. The Ministry is not open on weekends or national holidays.

Legal Officiants at Jamaican Weddings

If you don't arrange with clergy to officiate at your wedding, you can request a Marriage Officer to preside over your vows. This can take place in an office or a destination selected by the couple. Marriage Officers typically charge between $50 and $250 in U.S. dollars and upon request they can supply witnesses.

Find Out More About Legal Marriages in Jamaica

Several sites can provide more specific information about marrying on the island. Check out the Registrar General's Office in Jamaica, TripAdvisor, and the Marry in Caribbean websites.

Also Consider

Was this page helpful?