Isla Verde is the fancy resort strip of San Juan in Puerto Rico. What draws the crowds to this neighborhood? Isla Verde means "Green Island," but it's the lovely crescent of beachfront that commands center stage, and it is here that you'll find some of the island's hippest, hottest, and most exclusive hotels. They are the focus of my guide to Isla Verde.
Where to Stay
Hotels here range from budget to bring the gold card:
- Borinquen Beach Inn - the closest budget hotel to the beach.
There are many excellent restaurants in Isla Verde, from local favorites to popular global chains –
- Puerto Rican Cuisine - There's a surprising dearth of really good Puerto Rican restaurants in Isla Verde, which offers many more international options. However, you can't miss at Platos, which serves local dishes with innovative flair.
- Ceviche House - A refreshing, seafood-heavy trip to Peru, and one of the better international flavors around.
See and Do
Of course, there's the beach. Two of them, actually: Isla Verde Beach and Carolina Beach, a balneario, or "public beach," with ample parking and amenities (unlike Isla Verde beach). Here are some other activities to put on your list:
There's not much shopping in Isla Verde, especially compared to San Juan's other neighborhoods. The best shops are at the El San Juan Hotel & Casino and the Ritz-Carlton, where you'll find mostly high-end jewelry and fashion stores. On Isla Verde Avenue, look out for the tiny but delightful Algo d'Aqui for unique souvenirs.
Go Out at Night
Now here's one area where Isla Verde shines. Clubs, lounges, and late-night hangouts abound, such as:
- Club Brava - the hottest club in San Juan can be found at the El San Juan Hotel & Casino.
- Wet - The rooftop setting is awesome, making this Water & Beach Club hangout one of my favorite San Juan lounges.
- Lupi's on Isla Verde Avenue - Cheap Mexican food, gigantic margaritas, a young Spring-Breakish crowd. What's not to love?
- The Upper-Level Lounge - A chilled out second-floor destination above the casino floor at the Ritz.
- Casinos - most are open until at least 4 am, if not 24 hours.
The spas. Isla Verde has a few good ones, including:
- The Edouard du Paris Spa at the El San Juan Hotel & Casino.
- The Spa at the Ritz-Carlton specializes in local ingredients, essences, and aromas.
- The Spa at The Intercontinental uses treatments, facials, and body wraps by Elemis.