The Internal Revenue Service has several offices in New York City. These offices offer free tax advice, tax forms as available, and other useful information.
Brooklyn's IRS office is located in Downtown Brooklyn. Note that it has moved from its previous location on Fulton Street.
- Address: 2 MetroTech Center, 1st floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Nearest subways: A, C, or F trains to Jay Street, Borough Hall; M, N, or R trains to Lawrence, or 2, 3, 4, or 5 trains to Borough Hall
Your local IRS office offers a number of services, including:
- Account Inquiries (help with letters, notices, and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien Clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order (ATAO)
- Basic tax law assistance January 2–April 15 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Check, money order, or cash payment acceptance (exact change is required)
- Help with preparing Form 2290 (heavy-vehicle use tax)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7
- Multilingual assistance in more than 150 languages
- Payment arrangements
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
If you're not sure whether or not your local IRS office will be able to provide the forms or service that you need, call the office at (718) 834-6559 before you go.