Located on Manhattan's West Side on the Hudson River, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum invites visitors to explore military history through its collection of restored military aircraft and interactive exhibits. Visitors have a chance to tour the aircraft carrier, see the Enterprise Space Shuttle, a British Airways Concorde, the Growler submarine and try out the Flight Simulator. The Intrepid also hosts many events during NYC Fleet Week in late May.
Visitors have a chance to explore more than 20 restored aircraft, the Intrepid Aircraft carrier, the Enterprise Space Shuttle, the Growler submarine, a British Airways Concorde, a Flight Simulator and an extensive array of interactive exhibits. The Intrepid Museum uses these structures, spaces and artifacts to help visitors understand the history and humanity behind military technology.
What You Should Know About the Intrepid Museum:
- Admission covers access to the Intrepid Aircraft carrier, the Growler and the Concorde
- Guided tours are free with admission, and available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Access to the Space Shuttle Pavilion and flight simulators costs extra
- Plan to spend 2-3 hours at the Intrepid for the full experience
- Smoking is prohibited
- There are a variety of food service options on-site
- You'll spend a fair bit of time outdoors while visiting the Intrepid, so dress for the weather. It can be very hot and sunny on the flight deck and the wind can be strong there as well, making it feel colder in the winter.
- Women might be happier wearing shorts or pants when visiting the museum -- there are steep, narrow ladders/staircases to climb, and you might not want the person below you looking up your skirt.
- Touring the Growler submarine requires being able to walk through some narrow "doorways" (more like portholes!) Before joining the queue, you will have the chance to walk through a demo one to make sure you can manage.
Near the Intrepid:
Getting to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum:
- Pier 86 at 12th Avenue and 46th Street
- Closest Subways: A/C/E, N/Q/R/W, S, 1/2/3, or 7 to Times Square, either walk or take the M-42 bus West to the Hudson River and walk north
- Bus: M-50 runs along 49th Street and stops at the Intrepid
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Contacts:
- Phone: 877-957-SHIP (7447) or 212-245-0072
- Website: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Admission:
- Adults: $24
- Seniors (62+):$20
- Veterans: $17
- College Students (w/ID): $20
- Youth (6-17): $19
- Child (3-5): $12
- Child under 3: Free
- Retired Military: Free
- Active Duty: Free
- Museum Members: Free
- Access to the Space Shuttle Pavilion is an additional $7 for adults, $5 for children
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Hours:
- April 1 - October 31
- Monday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- November 1 - March 31st:
- Daily: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Closed Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day