01 of 06
Why Consider Staying at The InterContinental New Orleans?
Headed to New Orleans? Lucky You
New Orleans is a superstar U.S. destination. You can't call yourself an American luxury traveler if you've never been here. Why?
• In a nutshell, "the Big Easy" is a true original that feels like nowhere else. New Orleans is unique in every way...
• Its French heritage, its wonderful Creole and Cajun cuisines, its jazz (invented right here), and its Mardi Gras tradition
New Orleans offers visitors a variety of lodgings: deluxe, true luxury hotels; business hotels; quirky boutique hotels; flavorful guest houses.
The InterContinental New Orleans Is Much More than a Business Hotel
The InterContinental New Orleans is often thought of as a business hotel.
• Yes, it's within Nawlins’ "CBD" (central business district) and under the flag of the InterContinental Hotel Group, a trusted go-to for the "have briefcase, will travel" crowd
But The InterContinental New Orleans is also a favorite of savvy leisure travelers to New Orleans.
• I...t possesses Four Diamonds from AAA, an assurance of quality (though not extreme luxury)
Why The InterContinental New Orleans Is So Popular
• This hotel has an ideal location in the Crescent City. It is two blocks from the vibrant, 24-hour French Quarter, yet not within the belly of the beast
• It's a nice place to stay: thanks to a thorough renovation completed in 2015, the hotel's public spaces and rooms are lovely: stylish, comfortable, serene
• Service is warm and welcoming; you feel like a valued guest
• The hotel's signature restaurant, Trenasse, is fun and fashionable, with chef Jim Richard's classic Cajun and Gulf cuisine
Next: will YOU like The InterContinental New Orleans? Take the quiz! >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Will the InterContinental New Orleans Be Your Style?
Will You Like Staying at The InterContinental New Orleans?
The answer is probably yes if:
- You seek a New Orleans hotel located a five-minute walk to the French Quarter
- And the artsy Warehouse District, the quirky Garden District, and the business district
- You're coming for Mardi Gras (this hotel perches right on the St. Charles parade route, with viewing pavilions mere feet from the floats)
- You like a modern hotel with uncluttered, stylish rooms
- You're willing to forego super-luxury, but you won't compromise on one-on-one hotel service, which you will get here
- You love being an elevator ride away from a good hotel restaurant
- You need a 24-hour gym in your hotel
- And you'd like taking a dip in a heated outdoor pool
- You and your travel companion appreciate a pet-friendly policy (this one entails a reasonable "guest" fee for dogs and cats too)
- You love a hotel with free wifi everywhere
The answer is probably no if:
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Your heart is set on staying in the French Quarter
- You... seek a no-question, five-star luxury hotel
- Or a cozy boutique hotel
- You like traditionally furnished rooms with swagged curtains
- You must have a spa at your hotel
- You always stay on a hotel's Club Level and hang in the Club Lounge; there's no VIP or executive club level here
03 of 06
InterContinental New Orleans Hotel Rooms & Suites
Style of The InterContinental New Orleans Hotel
The InterContinental New Orleans is large: 484 rooms and 32 suites.
- It's big, but its vertical layout -- a relatively small footprint, 14 floors high -- means you will never feel lost or overwhelmed
This is a modern hotel that was renovated from top to bottom in 2015.
- The hotel's sparkling interior is much more impressive than its bland 1970s exterior
- The welcoming, convivial lobby is now glamorously done up in ebony and gilt
- Guests like to relax here and take in the hotel's social life, as in a grand hotel
What the Rooms Are Like at The InterContinental New Orleans
Every room was renovated. They are handsomely done in the hotel's color scheme of black and gold.
- The wall-to-wall plush carpeting has a subtle fleur-de-lis motif, suggesting the symbol of New Orleans
- The bed's headboard recalls the roof of a French château
Rooms are neither noticeably spacious nor cramped. They are comfortable and intelligently laid out.
- All rooms... have vast closet and storage space, including plenty of dresser drawers (at other hotels, having noplace to put folded clothes is one of the 10 worst hotel trends)
- Bathrooms are sensible, with an ample countertop and separate john and shower
- 80 of the rooms feature balconies
Perks that Come with Every Room
- King or two double beds with silky-soft white linens and perfectly firm mattress
- 42" TV
- Laptop-size safe
- Complimentary pod coffeemaker (but not bottled water)
- Plush robe (one)
- High-end, fragrant toiletries from Agraria
- Free wifi
- Complimentary 24-hour access to well-equipped fitness room
- A rooftop heated outdoor pool
Tips for Getting a Great Room at The InterContinental New Orleans
- The quietest rooms are those facing Camp St. at the back of the property; rooms on higher floors have a pleasant city view and lots of sunlight
- Balcony rooms face an inner courtyard, which is much less interesting
- There is no club floor (or club lounge) at this hotel
- No matter what room you choose, bring a mini-speaker or other music player, because rooms' clock-radios do not play your iPod or phone
- My advice? Don't rent a car when you visit. Hotel parking is very pricey (over $40), and you'll be walking or taking streetcars and taxis
Next: you can't not like the dining at The InterContinental New OrleansContinue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
InterContinental New Orleans Dining & Drinking
Dining & Imbibing at The InterContinental New Orleans
The InterContinental New Orleans is known for its appealing dining. The hotel offers a signature restaurant with a bar plus a casual spot for breakfast and drinks.
Trenasse at InterContinental New Orleans
Trenasse, a Cajun term for a stream, is the hotel’s stylish lunch and dinner restaurant.
- It's on all the New Orleans foodie lists, and feels very buzzy and up-to-the-minute
- Award-winning chef Jim Richard's kitchen finesses recipes from the Gulf, but with a modern twist
- Something-for-everyone dishes range from oysters, gumbo, and grilled fish...
- ...to hearty tastes not for the timid: frogs' legs, alligator tamale, rabbit and shrimp fricassee
- The adventurous global wine list offers a $32 bottle of Prosecco, up to a Grand Cru Burgundy for $210
- Trenasse's weekend brunch is one of Nawlins' best
- Trenasse website
Pete's at The InterContinental New Orleans
The hotel's excellent breakfast and lunch spot, Pete's... (pictured), features notable wall murals that channel New Orleans in the Jazz Age.
- Breakfast brings a buffet and an a la carte menu. The house shrimp and grits is stellar, and Pete's coffee is terrific
- The lunch menu covers salads, burgers, fish dishes, Cajun classics
- Lil Pete's, a takeout counter, tempts with fresh, house-baked pastries and desserts ready to to enjoy right there or to go
- Beginning at cocktail hour, Pete's becomes a lively bar
Room Service at The InterContinental New Orleans
- Is ready for you 24 hours
Next: Mardi Gras is a special time at The InterContinental New Orleans >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Mardi Gras at The InterContinental New Orleans
Where to Bunk During Mardi Gras? Right Here
If you're coming to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, the InterContinental is the perfect place to stay.
- The hotel takes this world-famous New Orleans festival very seriously, and Mardi Gras excitement pervades the property
- From About's New Orleans Travel Expert, the 5 Commandments of Mardi Gras
The InterContinental takes fierce pride in its ideal Mardi Gras location. The hotel is set right on St. Charles Ave., the main parade route.
- The hotel's viewing pavilion is reserved for guests, with a bar and snacks
- The pavilion (shown above) is set mere feet from where the Mardi Gras floats roll by, so be ready to catch the beads and trinkets tossed from the floats
- And not just for Mardi Gras, but for other busy times in Nawlins too, like Jazz Fest
Next: how to connect with The InterContinental New Orleans >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with The InterContinental New Orleans
Connect with The InterContinental New Orleans
The InterContinental New Orleans
444 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130
As is common in the travel industry, the Luxury Travel Expert was hosted by the hotel for the purpose of describing it. For details, see our Ethics Policy.