01 of 07
Inn and Spa at Loretto: Santa Fe Hotel with Style, Comfort, & Great Dining
Inn and Spa at Loretto: Luxury Hotel with True Santa Fe Flair
Inn and Spa at Loretto is a great hotel choice in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In this historic and cultured state capital, you want a hotel with character. And Inn and Spa at Loretto delivers a deeply Santa Fe-flavored experience.
• Condé Nast Traveler readers ranked it #2 Hotel in the Southwest in 2015
• The hotel is a member of Destination Hotels & Resorts and has been rated Forbes Four Stars and AAA Four Diamonds
Dead-Center Location of Inn and Spa at Loretto
This hotel has a perfect setting in Santa Fe.
• The hotel is ideally located two short blocks from Santa Fe's central Plaza and near everything (you don't really need a car to stay here)
• It is walking distance to everything in downtown Santa Fe: museums, shops, restaurants, galleries
• See all my reasons to visit Santa Fe
• You can also fly right to Santa Fe, but the ticket costs much more, and all you save is 45 minutes of driving
A Handsome Pueblo-Look Hotel
Inn and Spa at Loretto was built in 1975 but looks vintage. It is noted for its beautiful Southwestern-style lobby.
• The hotel is noted for its Pueblo Revival style, with a photogenic adobe exterior patterned after the iconic Taos Pueblo
• The hotel's 136 rooms and suites, renovated in 2015, blend comfort with classic Santa Fe style
Moderate Room Rates at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Next: will Inn and Spa at Loretto be your ideal Santa Fe nest? Take the quiz to find outContinue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Will Inn and Spa at Loretto Be Your Style?
Will Inn and Spa at Loretto Be Your Perfect Santa Fe Hotel ?
The answer is probably yes if:
• You want a hotel that is dead-center in Santa Fe, a few moments' walk to the Plaza
• You like the Southwestern look and want a hotel with tons of Santa Fe atmosphere
• You like luxury lodgings at the affordable level of a four-star, four-diamond hotel
• You love a hotel with a great restaurant and social lobby lounge
• You like a mid-sized hotel with a lot going on, but is not so big you feel lost
• A quiet hotel room is at the top of your list
• You plan on working out while in Santa Fe and will appreciate a 24-hour hotel gym
• You love having a good spa right in your hotel
• You're visiting during Santa Fe's hot summer and will like cooling off in hotel's outdoor pool
• You want a balcony with your room (a common feature here)
• You’re traveling with your dog or cat (this is a pet-friendly hotel, charging only $125 for your furry friend's entire stay)
Inn and Spa at Loretto may not be your ideal Santa Fe hotel if:
• You require extreme, five-star hotel luxury
• You like the intimacy of a small boutique hotel (though it's called an Inn, this hotel has 136 rooms)
• You prefer the ease of self-parking to valet parking
Next: intrigued? Find out about the hotel rooms at the Inn and Spa at LorettoContinue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Rooms and Suites at Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe
What the Hotel Rooms Are Like at Inn and Spa at Loretto
The property was renovated in 2015: rooms, lobby, restaurant, meeting rooms. The hotel has 136 rooms and suites spread over five floors.
The Style of Rooms at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Rooms are decorated with definite Southwestern flair but do not overdo the Wild West look.
• Beds are unusually solid, with heavy posts that are not fun to bump into at night
• Mattresses are ideally firm and the rooms are quiet, promising deep sleep
What You Get in Your Room at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Inn and Spa at Loretto's accommodations come in numerous categories of rooms and suites, from compact and stylishTraditional Guest Rooms to sprawling suites whose large terraces deliver stirring views of Santa Fe.
• Many rooms have balconies or spacious patios
• Rooms have amenities galore including free wifi, tons of closet and drawer space, robes and slippers, coffee-maker, safe, iPhone dock, cash minibar
• Rooms are pet-friendly
• See the hotel's detailed description of room levels
• And its various, excellent-value room packages
Guest Recreation at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Hotel guests have plenty of opportunities to relax and enjoy the property.
• There's a heated outdoor pool and hot tub
• 24-hour access to the small but fully equipped fitness room
• A comfy lobby with lounge chairs and waiter service
What You Won't Get at Inn and Spa at Loretto
• Complimentary bottled water
• Executive club access (there's no hotel club floor or lounge)
Next: Inn and Spa at Loretto has a simply great restaurantContinue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Top Dining at Luminaria Restaurant at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Luminaria Restaurant at Inn and Spa at Loretto
Santa Fe, a town of 65,000, has more good restaurants than many cities 10 times its size. The Inn and Spa at Loretto houses one of the very best restaurants in this culinary capital, Luminaria.
• It is named after the small candle lights that decorate Santa Fe homes at night and in winter
• The dining room is done in radiant tones of sand and gray and warmed by a kiva fireplace
• This is a quiet, romantic restaurant with plenty of tables for two and private-feeling booths
• Luminaria's spacious patio is one of Santa Fe's favorite places to dine outdoors in summer
• Luminaria serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch
Luminaria Is Lovely, and Its Amazing Food Is Part of the Mood
This is not just a beautiful restaurant with a dreamy patio. It is a delicious place to eat.
• A meal prepared by Executive Chef Marc Quiñones skips from one high note to the next
• And the wines are just as great, thanks to tasteful sommelier Adrian Cabral
Dishes You Can Expect to Love at Luminaria
Chef Marc is a native New Yorker who has cooked all over. His approach at Luminaria is seasonal New American food with Santa Fe accents: a style more bistro than cantina. It's the best of both worlds and perfect for an upscale dinner in Santa Fe.
• You know you're in for a great meal from the bread basket alone: muffins, nut flatbread, cheese sticks, and more to love
• Chef Marc finesses beloved farm-to-table classics with a twist: tenderly braised short ribs are buffalo instead of beef; a pork chop is cooked with New Mexico adobo spices; a wild salmon filet is painted with local chile and honey
• Apart from his novel recipes, Chef Marc's ingredients are ultra-fresh and tasty and cooked just right
• In his words, "I have traveled and cooked in many different regions, and your meal will be diverse, colorful, full of flavor, and brimming with fresh ingredients from the Farmer’s Market. I intend to give you a unique Santa Fe dining experience."
• Meet Chef Marc and see his Luminaria menus
Living Room at Inn at Loretto
The hotel's elegant, comfortable lobby "Living Room" lounge is a social hub that serves drinks and top-notch New Mexican snacks.
• It's a fun place to spend time, especially during "reverse happy hour," pioneered here
• What's "reverse happy hour"? Before and after the usual five-to-seven, with unbeatable two-for-one deals on margaritas and New Mexican snacks
• Like what you hear about Living Room at Loretto? Find out more and see the menu
Next: The Spa at Loretto is one of Santa Fe's bestContinue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
The Spa at Loretto
The Spa at Loretto
This spa is an oasis of warmth and comfort. Set in a quiet, private corner of the hotel, it feels like a hushed getaway.
A Great Spa in a Great Spa Town
Santa Fe is a center of spa and well-being culture, and practitioners are top-notch here. Whatever service you undergo at The Spa at Loretto will be conducted with expertise and flair.
• A full range of services pamper clients from head to toe: facials, massages, body treatments, scalp, hand, and foot treatments, manicures and pedicures
• Treatments are dedicated to women, men, couples, athletes, etc.
• Treatments involve New Mexican spa ingredients and spirituality but are seriously results-oriented: to soothe your body, silken your skin, and rejuvenate your appearance and mood
• You can also make an appointment for an "intuitive lifestyle" session in astrology analysis, Chakra balancing, and sage reading (New Mexico's take on tea leaves)
Check Out The Spa at Loretto
Next: the famed "miraculous staircase" in the chapel next doorContinue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
The Miraculous Staircase at Loretto Chapel
The Inn at Loretto's Legend Next Door
The Inn at Loretto is set beside one of Santa Fe's top draws for visitors, Loretto Chapel and its "miraculous staircase."
The Legend Goes...
The chapel, now deconsecrated, houses a remarkable object. Here's the story.
The chapel was initiated by Archbishop Lamy in the late 1880s to serve as a smaller chapel to St. Francis Cathedral next door. The plans called for 20-foot-high, wooden circular staircase with no center support: just winding stairs. The design seemed impossible to pull off, and the Santa Fe construction team was at a loss.
According to the story...
A Mysterious Carpenter Appeared
As if to answer the challenge, one day a carpenter showed up at the chapel's construction site. No one had ever met him before. The carpenter said he could build the seemingly impossible staircase. And he did. In a matter of days.
And here's the miraculous part. This carpenter hand-built a graceful wooden circular staircase with no supports, and without nails nor glue. The 33 perfectly angled steps and bannisters were flawlessly fitted together with only small wooden pegs as hardware.
When the carpenter finished his masterpiece, he disappeared as enigmatically as he had appeared.
Who Was that Humble Carpenter?
You can imagine what the devout worshipers of St Francis Cathedral believed. Some said he was St. Joseph, some dared to believe more. And the legend lives on.
Today, Loretto Chapel Is a Sought-After Wedding Venue
The chapel is no longer holy, but its power remains. Engaged couples from far and wide can hold their wedding ceremony here, with any variety of officiant.
Inn at Loretto Guests Get into the Chapel Free
The chapel is also a tourist attraction in Santa Fe. Guests at The Inn and Spa at Loretto get a pair of free tickets.
• More about Loretto Chapel
• And on About's Urban Legends site, a modern explanation of the mystery
Next: get in touch with and follow Inn and Spa at LorettoContinue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Connect with Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe
Connect with and Follow Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe
Disclosure: As is common in the travel industry, the Luxury Travel Expert was provided with a complimentary visit in order to describe the hotel. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.