Meet India Hicks: A Celebrity Since She Was 13 Years Old
Life has taken surprising turns for model and designer India Hicks, a regal English model and designer, nd creator of the beloved fragrance India HIcks Island Night.
• India was born in 1967 to an aristocratic English family. The story behind her unusual name: India's grandfather, the 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, was the last Viceroy of India during the British Empire
• India was raised in London, Oxfordshire, Ireland, and the Bahamas
• She attended Gordonstoun prep school (like her second cousin and godfather, Prince Charles)
• Then she studied photography in Boston
• India became famous in 1981as the 13-year-old bridesmaid in Princess Diana's wedding to Prince Charles
India Hicks' Cover-Girl Years
The tall, aristocratic English beauty became an in-demand fashion model based in New York.
• Her versatile, fresh look made her a favorite of the outdoorsy J. Crew label and glamour designer Emilio Pucci. (India told the Wall Street Journal, "The most rebellious thing I ever did as a teenager was drive to Italy from England at 17 without my license...to meet Emilio Pucci.")
• She became "the face" of Ralph Lauren, one of the era's most coveted spokesmodel jobs
India Hicks' Island Life
In 1995, India re-met a childhood acquaintance who had become a hotel manager in the Bahamas.
• Flash forward: India and David have five children, a menagerie of pets, and a beautiful house called Hibiscus Hill on tiny Harbour Island in the Bahamas (with exclusive vacation villas you can rent!)
• Read India and David's love story
India Hicks' Own Company
India owns two stores that sell her designer line, India Hicks The shops are on Harbour Island in the Bahamas (her home) and in London.
In 2015, India regrouped with two business partners and amped up her existing online store.
• See India Hicks' shopping pages, its catalogue, and its inspiring mission statement
• Fragrances include English Rose, Wild Spiderlily, The Grove
• Accessories highlight: several chic but practical bags that hold much more than they appear to
• Fun fact: the Maddison May crossbody bag is named for India's niece, a model in London, like Aunt India and mom Edwina (India's sister) were
India Hicks' Crabtree & Evelyn Phase
From 2005 to 2012, India was a designer and muse for Crabtree & Evelyn, creating beauty and home-decor products.
• Her popular Crabtree & Evelyn fragrance, India Hicks Spider Lily, was renamed Caribbean Island Wild Flowers (but you can buy Spider Lily on India's online store )
• Her signature Crabtree & Evelyn discontinued her India Hicks Island Night fragrance, but it is available on eBay and Amazon
In Her Words: How India Stays Comfortable on Long Flights
"As I live and work in different countries, I spend a lot of time traveling. I try to make the experience as relaxing as possible ."
"I fly a lot and am usually seated in economy. I've made my peace with it and look for the good, not the bad. I do my best to snag a window seat so I can look out the window and I try to make the best of my flight. Attitude counts.! I play a game with myself and pretend I am in first class!
India Says: Don't Treat Your Airplane Seat Like a Barstool
"We know some facts about how flying affects us. You need to do what you can....
• Drink lots of water
• Get up, walk about, and get our blood circulating
• And stay clear of salty foods and excessive alcohol
• Set your watches to your destination time zone, to try to fool your bodies"
But, Says India, "I am rarely able to adhere to these rules!"
• I do try to keep myself hydrated. This really helps.
• If I'm sleepy, I welcome the chance to catch up
• When I don't have the kids with me, I sometimes take Nytol Herbal. It's a safe, botanical way to fall asleep naturally. You can get it in the U.K. and online"
"If I can't sleep, I keep busy."
• I enjoy an inflight movie, or I read an absorbing book
• See what a sleep doctor says about getting your zzzzs & beating jetlag
I Always Get Work Done on Flights
"My laptop is is always with me onboard," says India. "With so much going on at home, it's hard for me to find the time to concentrate on business email. So having a chunk of hours when I fly can really be productive."
"How I do it: I work through my email inbox with wifi when it's available onboard. When I arrive at my destination I will have caught up on some work, which feels good."
India's Beauty Tricks for Long Flights
1) "I love the convenience of travel sizes, which makes sense now with all the security rules. I fly with a few key items that make me more comfortable onboard and fresh-looking when I land."
2) "Inflight air has less humidity than the world's driest desert! Now, everyone is different, but my skin suffers terribly from the drying effects of the plane."
• My all-important inflight hydrator is lip balm, When your lips are moist, you feel so much more comfortable
3) "I love and always carry M.A.C Wipes."
• It's an instant moisturizer that refreshes skin
• It also removes makeup mistakes as you're putting on your face before landing
• It comes in 30 or 45 pre-moistened towelettes and is not considered a liquid, so doesn't have to be separated for the security line
4) "I always carry some red-reducing eye drops so upon arrival so I don't look too painfully jet-lagged."
India's Suitcase Beauty Kit
"I take a few beauty items everywhere. These are packed in my suitcase if I've checked bags, or they're up in the luggage bin if I'm flying carryon."
• Dr. Hauschka tinted daily moisturizer, which is only slightly tinted but leaves a lovely, gentle sheen
• My Mason and Pearson hairbrush. Tying my hair back into a ponytail after a good, scalp-tingling brush-through always rejuvenates me
• The story: I inherited my sister's tiny pink Mason and Pearson hairbrush when I was about four years old and cherished it.
My mother would not indulge me in a new one. The perils of being a younger sibling! Shop now >>
India's Secret to Balancing Work, Life, and Family
"With five kids, a partner, a busy career, and a menagerie of pets, I have to prioritize!"
• I don't indulge in too much of a social life. Nowadays I prefer being at home tucking my children into bed to attending a social dinner
• Also, the evening hours in the home office can be so productive. No phones ringing, no interruptions, and no dogs needing to be walked
• It's so important to keep your body and soul in shape! I try to exercise five days a week
• I strive to remain organized. It's a natural for me, born under the Virgo sign. Virgos are energetic and love routine. We even organize piles of paper clips!
• This is a big one. Do not be ashamed to ask for help. To tackle a home project, to move the couch, to have someone else cook the kids dinner if you're stuck
Where to Find Out More About India Hicks & Her Harbour Island Lifestyle
• India Hicks' design line
• India Hicks' Blog
• India on Facebook
• On Instagram
• On Pinterest
• On Twitter
• On Vimeo
• Find out more about India's life in the Bahamas
• Read India's insider guide to her Bahamas home, Harbour Island
• Find out about renting a cottage on India's Harbour Island property, Hibiscus Hill