November is the perfect time to engage in your favorite fall activities before and during the holiday season, and Indianapolis (commonly referred to as Indy) is a great Midwest city to explore. Enjoy some of the best seasonal events and activities in Indy, Indiana's state capital the city with its biggest population. You'll find everything from classic musicals at dinner theaters to holiday mansion tours and children's museum workshops in November.
Founded in 1972, the Indiana Repertory Theatre puts on a series of plays each year, in addition to providing educational programs for the Indy community and a national workshop for playwrights.
- And So We Walked: An Artist's Journey Along the Trail of Tears: In a one-woman exploration of personal and cultural identity, this play details the challenges the Cherokee Nation is dealing with nearly 200 years after their forced relocation. The production will run from October 15 to November 10, 2019.
- A Christmas Carol: This Charles Dickens’ tale is a classic both in literature and at the IRT, where it has been performed annually since 1996. It tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, whose dastardly ways are revealed at the holidays by visits from ghosts of his past, present, and future. The production will run from November 16 to December 26, 2019.
Witness the wonder of the elegant, historic 1930s Lilly House mansion, a National Historic Landmark, all decked out for the Winterlights tour on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons throughout the holiday season. Beautiful floral arrangements will be on display, along with festive winter bulbs and lit branches.
A staple of the College Park neighborhood since 1973, Beef & Boards features Broadway plays and children's favorites all year long, and serves up some classics in November.
- Little Shop of Horrors: This famous horror rock musical based on the 1960 black comedy film is about a floral shop employee who raises a plant that feeds on human blood and flesh. The show runs from October 10 to November 17.
- Alice & Wonderland: In this adaptation of a classic Disney movie, Lewis Carroll’s famous heroine Alice chases the White Rabbit and encounters various other interesting characters. The show will run on October 18, 19, 25, and 26, along with November 1 and 2.
- A Christmas Story: Set in the 1940s in a fictional Indiana town, this musical based on a classic movie follows a 9-year-old in his search for a BB gun for his Christmas gift. The show will run from November 21 to December 31.
The vast campus of Indy's Children's Museum hosts events most days throughout November 2019, when its seasonal exhibit is Treasures of Ancient Greece.
- Voices of Hope: Live Performance: one of the museum's daily events features inspirational children like Anne Frank.
- Dinosaurs Up Close: This dinosaur fossil class has several daily starting times.
- The Magical Snowman: The interactive holiday musical opens November 29, 2019.
- Santa's Big Arrival: Santa Clause rolls in via IndyCar on November 29, 2019.
Spirit & Place Civic Festival - R/EVOLUTION
From November 1 to 10, 2019, check out this unique collaborative festival exploring the arts, religion, and humanities as a way of shaping individual and community life. This event features interesting workshops, including one using theatrical improvisation techniques to explore science and religion, and readings by currently and formerly incarcerated people.
Held at The Palladium at the Center for the Performing Arts, this November 8, 2019, concert brings to Indy a party for the centennial of Harlem's renaissance. This multimedia show celebrates artists like Duke Ellington, Langston Hughes, and Billie Holiday, who made Harlem a cultural mecca. New York landmarks like the Apollo Theater and Cotton Club will be featured as well.