Every winter, ice-skating rinks are set up at several locations around Paris. Admission is usually free (not including skate rental or general ticket to the Eiffel Tower). Skate rental generally averages around 7-10 Euros. This is a great, inexpensive way to enjoy the winter season in the city of light, irrespective of your family's background or spiritual beliefs. Especially on a bright, sunny, and crisp winter morning, it really can't be beat as outdoor activities go.
Please take note: Some dates for 2017-2018 have yet to be announced: please check back soon for precise dates. Most of the rinks open in late November and early December and remain open through January. The rinks (all outdoors) can be unexpectedly closed due to rain, snow, or other adverse weather conditions.
Ice Rink at the Champs de Mars (Nearby the Eiffel Tower)
This giant outdoor space right nearby the Eiffel Tower and adjoining the traditional Christmas market is free (excluding skate rental). This is a real treat for the whole family: enjoy over 3,000 square feet of ice to glide along, then go explore the cheerful market stalls peddling festive gifts and holiday treats.
- When: December 21st, 2017 to January 8th, 2018
- Open : Daily from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Address : Champs de Mars
- Metro :Bir-Hakeim
Read related feature: Visiting Paris in the Winter
Charlety Stadium "Snow Park"
The Charlety Stadium in south Paris is getting decked out as a full-fledged snow park, including a rink made from synthetic ice. This rink is ideal for younger skaters. There's also a cheerful Santa's village planned for this year, featuring sleds, snowshoes and more. All activities are free.
- When: December 25th, 2017 to January 11th, 2018
- Open: daily from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Location: 99, boulevard Kellermann, RER Cité Universitaire (Line B)
Rink at La Defense (Grande Arche)
To the delight of many, especially since so many rinks aren't open this year, the upper deck of theGrande Arche de la Défense just outside Paris will host ice skating fun this year. The giant Christmas market on the esplanade outside the Quatre Saisons Shopping Center is also well worth a stroll: there's plenty of holiday cheer in this generally sterile business district this year.
- When: December 15th, 2017 through January 14th, 2018
- Open: daily from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm; until 10:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Toit de la Grande Arche, 1, Parvis de la Defense, Metro/RER La Defense (Line 1, RER Line A)
Rink at Santa's Village, Avenue des Champs-Elysées: Canceled
The traditional Christmas market and "Santa's Village" near the famed Avenue des Champs-Elysées will sadly not be held this year, due to a dispute between Paris City Council and the vendor responsible for the market stalls. It should be back in winter 2018.
- Dates: Cancelled in 2017/2018
- Open: Daily from 11:00 am to midnight; and until 1:00 am on Friday and Saturday night
Metro: Champs-Elysees Clemenceau or Franklin D. Roosevelt (Line 1, 9)
- Admission: 8 Euros for kids age 12 and under; 10 Euros for adults (these prices include skate rentals)
Ice Rink at the Eiffel Tower
Owing to security concerns, the ice rink at the iconic tower is cancelled this year.
- When: Cancelled in 2017/2018
- Open: Daily from 10:30 am to 10:30 pm
- Location: Eiffel Tower
- Metro: Ecole Militaire or Bir-Hakeim
- Admission: 9 Euros (elevator access); 5 Euros (stairs). Skate rental obligatory (you cannot use your own skates here).
Ice Rink at the Grand Palais
The rink at this exposition center is not held this year; it will be back in Winter 2018.
- When: Not held in 2017/2018
- Open : Daily from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Location: Grand Palais
- Metro: Champs-Elysées Clémenceau