PPG Plaza in downtown Pittsburgh is home to an outdoor ice skating rink. The MassMutual Pittsburgh Ice Rink at PPG Place, managed by Magic Ice Inc. of Florida, has an ice surface of 116' x 116'. During the holiday season, the rink incorporates the plaza's traditional 60-foot tree. A fountain replaces the ice in the spring.
The rink was expanded during the 2015-16 season and now has room for 40 percent more skaters, as well as being 67 percent larger than the rink at Rockefeller Center and two-thirds the size of a National Hockey Lague rink.
PPG Ice Skating Rink Hours:
Open mid-November through the end of February.
Holiday Season Hours
- Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to Midnight
- Sunday Noon to 8:00 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Sunday Noon to 8:00 p.m.
There are special hours for holidays, such as11 am - 10 pm Thanksgiving, noon - 8 pm on Christmas Day,
PPG Ice Skating Rink Admission
Check for current prices, these were updated for 2016.
- Adults (ages 13-49) $8.00
- Children (through age 12) $7.00
- Seniors (ages 50 and up) $7.00
- Lunchtime monthly pass (available January - February and valid Monday through Friday from 11 am - 3 pm) $25.00
- Skate Rentals $4.00
- Self-service lockers are available for 50 cents per use.
- Skate sharpening is available for $5 per pair.
- Tuesday Family Nights - The Rink welcomes families on Tuesday nights during Winter Hours (January - February). You can receive one child admission free with each adult admission purchased. This offer is valid with other offers. Skate rental is additional.
- Student ID Nights - The Rink invites students to come skate on Wednesday nights during Winter Hours (January - February). Admission is just $3.00 with valid student ID or report card. Not valid with other offers. Skate rental is additional.
If you want to learn to skate or want to skate better, skating lessons are available at the Rink at PPG Place for all ages and ability levels.
For more information about private lessons, please call the rink office at (412) 394-3641.
Groups and Parties at the Rink at PPG Place:
Group rates and party planning services are available for public and private skating parties of 10 people or more. You can combine skating admission fees, skate rentals, and meals. You can also give gift certificates. Call or see the manager for more details.
Special Events at the PPG Ice Rink:
- Light Up Night - Held the first night the rink is open for the season, with an American Cancer Society Tribute of Light ceremony.
- Mascot Skate - Enjoy an afternoon of skating with your favorite mascots, usually the day after opening night.
Directions to the Rink at PPG Place:
The PPG Ice Rink and Tree are located on PPG Plaza, between Fourth Avenue and Third Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh. The rink office is located in Four PPG Place.
The Rink at PPG Place: