If you're looking for an all-inclusive resort for a beach getaway at a moderate price, the Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal are excellent options. These twin all-inclusive resorts are located on a beautiful stretch of white-sand beach in the Playacar area of Playa del Carmen. A great choice for a family vacation, Iberostar Quetzal and Iberostar Tucan offer comfortable accommodation, tasty food, friendly service, and a wide variety of activities and entertainment.
Iberostar Quetzal and Iberostar Tucan are located on the same 28-acre property. Each resort has its own reception and lobby areas; the Iberostar Tucan's decor has a Maya theme, whereas the Iberostar Quetzal is decorated in a colonial style. In other aspects the two resorts are very similar and share facilities, so whether you stay at the Tucan or the Quetzal, you will enjoy the same amenities.
Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal Grounds
Iberostar Quetzal and Iberostar Tucan have lush tropical vegetation with winding paths through jungle areas. Small animals wander freely through the property, so on a walk around the resort, you're likely to see peacocks, agoutis, iguanas, turtles, and monkeys. The layout of the extensive grounds with its meandering paths, and the expansive free-form pool, along with clever landscaping creating secluded areas, means that one never feels crowded and there are many spots which have an intimate feel, much more so than one would expect for a resort of this size.
Dining at Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal
There are two main buffet restaurants: Cozumel restaurant on the Quetzal side, and Tulum restaurant on the Tucan side. These offer a varied selection of Mexican and American dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Besides the buffet, there are five a la carte restaurants: Mexican, Japanese, Italian, Caribbean and steakhouse. The a la carte restaurants require reservations and have a dress code (long pants for men). Attentive staff kindly accommodate special dietary needs. Room service is offered from 11 am to 11 pm and is included in the all-inclusive price.
Activities at the Iberostar Quetzal & Tucan
- For children: Lucy’s Mini Club offers supervised activities for children 4 to 12 years old daily from 10:15 am to 5 pm.
- Sports: many activities are offered during the day such as aerobics, dance lessons, water polo, and beach volleyball. There are tennis courts (equipment available for no extra charge) and a fitness center. Catamarans, kayaks, and snorkeling equipment can be borrowed at the dive center on the beach, which also offers snorkeling and diving excursions, as well as a scuba certification course for an additional cost.
- Spa: the on-site spa offers a full menu of treatments including massages, facials, hair and nail treatments.
- Nightlife: Live shows are presented in the theater every evening: there's a show at 8 pm directed at children, and at 9:30 for adults. Guests can enjoy cocktails and dancing at the resort disco, Mascara, from 11 pm on, and those in search of yet more diversion will find all they need just a five-minute taxi ride away in Playa del Carmen.
Guest Rooms at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal
Each of the resorts has 350 guest rooms located in brightly-colored three-story buildings. Rooms are spacious and cheerful with either a king or two double beds, a sitting area, and a terrace or balcony. Standard rooms have a jungle, garden or pool view whereas junior and presidential suites have ocean views. In-room amenities include flat screen TV, ceiling fan, air-conditioning, mini bar, coffee maker, telephone, alarm clock, safe, and iron.
Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal Beach and Pools
The large free-form pool area is vast and attractive, with lots of shady spots to sit poolside. The swim-up bar is in a separate pool in a secluded area. There is also a sports and games pool, and a children's pool.
The beach at Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal is nothing short of spectacular. This is exactly the type of beach that makes travelers flock to the Riviera Maya: It's a long, wide stretch of beach with powdery fine white sand. Guests enjoy swimming, parasailing, snorkeling or just resting on loungers sipping cold drinks brought by the courteous wait staff.
The Bottom Line
Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal's tropical landscape with abundant greenery and wildlife, its enormous free-form pool and beautiful beach are stand out features, making this an excellent choice among all-inclusive resorts of its class.
- Address: Avenida Xaman-Ha Lote Hotelero No. 2, Fraccionamiento Playacar
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, México
- Phone: 52 984 877 2000
- Fax: 52 984 873 0424
- Websites: Iberostar Tucan | Iberostar Quetzal