The new Hyderabad airport opened in mid March 2008. It's operated by a private company as part of a public-private partnership with the government and handles about 15 million passengers a year, making it India's sixth biggest airport in terms of traffic. The airport is excellent, with world-class facilities. The Airports Council International has consistently ranked it among the top three airports of its size (5 to 15 million passengers) in the world in its Airport Service Quality Awards.
Hyderabad airport also won an award for environmental management, in 2015.
Currently, Hyderabad airport is operating over its capacity. In late 2017, the airport's developer announced plans to enlarge the airport by 2022 and increase its capacity to up to 40 million passengers a year. This includes the expansion of the terminal building and construction of an additional runway, mega convention center (designed to be the biggest in India) and Metro rail link to the airport. In September 2018, it was further announced that an interim terminal for international departures would be ready by the end of the year.
In addition, an environmentally-friendly Airport City business and hospitality park is being established next to the airport. It's being promoted as India's first smart, greenfield airport city and will have various activity centers such as health, logistics, aerospace, and economic zone.
The airport is also in the process of building an International Express Cargo terminal facility and aims to become the logistics hub of India and South Asia. It already has India's first modular, integrated cargo facility, with a Pharma Zone that provides a temperature controlled environment.
Airport Name and Code
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD).
It's named after a former Indian Prime Minister.
Airport Contact Information
- (040) 6654-6370.
Shamshabad, 30 kilometers (19 miles) southwest of the city center.
Travel Time to City Center
One to two hours.
The airport currently has a single integrated domestic and international terminal.
- 92 check-in counters and 24 self check-in kiosks.
- 39 immigration counters (plus additional counters for visas on arrival).
- An "Airport Village", consisting of a special area outside the arrivals hall with food and beverage counters for people who are waiting to receive passengers.
- Visitors can buy a ticket to enter the airport. This costs 100 rupees for the departure area and 20 rupees for the Airport Village area at arrivals.
- Wireless Internet is available free for 45 minutes. You'll need an Indian cell phone number to receive a PIN number to use it.
- A personalized on-demand entertainment service allows passengers to download movies within 3 minutes at entertainment WiFi hot-spots.
- Porters can be hired to carry luggage.
- There's a dedicated transfer desk to assist transferring passengers. It's located at Belt 2 in the arrivals hall..
- Money exchange counters and ATMs are available.
- Diaper change rooms are provided. However, there are no nursing rooms for mothers, or child care facilities.
- There's a luxury spa, offering massages and beauty treatments.
- The airport has a lost and found department in the arrivals area. Phone: (040) 6660-6064. Articles can be claimed between 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday. It's closed every second Saturday, all Sundays, and public holidays.
- The airport also has numerous food and beverage outlets, and a duty free area and bookstore.
- A left luggage service is provided by MakeMyTrip. It's open 24 hours and there's a counter outside the arrivals hall.
In September 2018, a new door-to-door baggage transfer service called Carter X was introduced at the airport for incoming and outgoing passengers. This is ideal for passengers who have a lot of heavy luggage that they don't want to carry around.
Rates start from 299 rupees per piece. Bookings can be made online here.
By the end of 2018, it is expected that India's first biometric face recognition facility will be operation for domestic flights. This will eliminate the need to show boarding passes.
The airport has VIP Lounges, as well as two business lounges operated Plaza Premium. The Plaza Premium lounges are located in both the domestic and international areas of the airport. The international lounge is open 24 hours, while the domestic lounge is open from 4.30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Facilities include business center, buffet and drinks bar, showers, massage, and first aid. International lounge use packages cost 1,800 rupees for two hours, up to 4,200 rupees for 10 hours. This includes alcoholic beverages. For the domestic lounge, it's 1,200 rupees for two hours, up to 3,600 rupees for 10 hours. Alcoholic beverages aren't included but can be purchased. A 30 minute shower is 400 rupees. Massage services are additional. Complimentary access is provided to holders of certain credit cards.
There's a car park, managed by Tenaga Parking, with space for 3,000 vehicles. Rates vary depending on vehicle size. Cars pay 50 rupees for the first half hour, increasing to 300 rupees for 24 hours. Motorbikes pay 30 rupees for the first two hours, up to a maximum of 100 rupees for 24 hours. Commercial vehicles are charged extra. The rate for multi-day parking is 200 rupees for every 24 hours. There's a valet parking service available at the departure level. The cost is 200 rupees for the first two hours, up to 300 rupees for 24 hours.
Vehicles do not have to pay parking charges for dropping off or picking up passengers curbside, as long as they're not left unattended.
Transport and Hotel Transfers
The easiest way to get to the city center from the airport is to take a prepaid taxi. However, the fare is relatively costly at between 500 to 1,000 rupees, depending on distance.
An air-conditioned Pushpak Airport Liner Express Bus Service, operated by the Telangana State Road Transport Corporation, services important destination in the city. The fare ranges from 100 to 250 rupees, depending on distance. The buses run from 3 a.m. until midnight. A timetable is available here.
Where to Stay Near the Airport
For passengers on a budget, there are dormitory accommodations at the Passenger Transportation Center, with luggage storage facility. A free shuttle to and from the airport is provided every 10 minutes.
The Plaza Premium Transit Hotel located at the level below the Airport Village (opposite the car park) offers rooms with nap and shower packages. Rates are based on hours of use. There's also a luxury new Novotel hotel close to the airport. Find out more information in this Guide to Hyderabad Airport Hotels.