The new Hyderabad airport opened in mid March 2008. It's operated by a private company and handles 15 million passengers a year. The airport is excellent, with world class facilities. The Airports Council International has consistently ranked it among the top three airports of its size (5 to 15 million passengers) in the world in its Airport Service Quality Awards. Hyderabad airport also won an award for environmental management, in 2015.
Airport Name and Code
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD). It's named after a former Indian Prime Minister.
Airport Contact Information
- (91) 40 6654-6370.
Shamshabad, 30 kilometers (19 miles) southwest of the city center.
Travel Time to City Center
One to two hours.
The airport has a single integrated domestic and international terminal. It's been constructed in a way to allow for future expansion as the airport grows.
- 96 check-in counters and 42 immigration counters (plus four additional counters for visas on arrival).
- An "Airport Village", consisting of a special area outside the arrivals hall with food and beverage counters for people who are waiting to receive passengers.
- Wireless Internet is available free for 45 minutes.
- A personalized on-demand entertainment service allows passengers to download movies within 3 minutes at entertainment WiFi hot-spots.
- Porters can be hired to carry luggage.
- Money exchange counters and ATMs are provided.
- Diaper change rooms are available. However, there are no nursing rooms for mothers, or child care facilities.
- There's a luxury spa, offering massages and beauty treatments.
- The airport also has numerous food and beverage outlets, and a duty free area and bookstore.
- A left luggage service is provided by MakeMyTrip. There are counters in the arrivals and departures halls.
The airport has VIP Lounges, as well as two business lounges operated Plaza Premium. The Plaza Premium lounges are located in both the domestic and international areas of the airport. Facilities include business center, buffet and drinks bar, showers, massage, and first aid. Lounge use packages cost 1,200 rupees for two hours, up to 3,600 rupees for 10 hours. Complimentary access is provided to holders of certain credit cards.
There's a car park, managed by Tenaga Parking, with space for 3,000 vehicles. Rates vary depending on vehicle size. Cars pay 50 rupees for the first half hour, increasing to 300 rupees for 24 hours. Motorbikes pay 30 rupees for the first two hours, up to a maximum of 100 rupees for 24 hours. Commercial vehicles are charged extra. The rate for multi-day parking is 200 rupees for every 24 hours. There's a valet parking service available at the departure level. The cost is 200 rupees for the first two hours, up to 300 rupees for 24 hours.
Vehicles do not have to pay parking charges for dropping off or picking up passengers curbside, as long as they're not left unattended.
Transport and Hotel Transfers
The easiest way to get to the city center from the airport is to take a prepaid taxi. However, the fare is relatively costly at between 500 to 1,000 rupees, depending on distance.
An air-conditioned Airport Liner Express Bus Service, operated by the Telangana State Road Transport Corporation, services important destination in the city. The fare ranges from 100 to 250 rupees, depending on distance. The buses run from 3 a.m. until midnight. A timetable is available here.
Where to Stay Near the Airport
For passengers on a budget, there are dormitory accommodations at the Passenger Transportation Center, with luggage storage facility. A free shuttle to and from the airport is provided every 10 minutes.
The Plaza Premium Transit Hotel located at the level below the Airport Village (opposite the car park) offers rooms with nap and shower packages.
Rates are based on hours of use. There's also a luxury new Novotel hotel close to the airport. Find out more information in this Guide to Hyderabad Airport Hotels.