Figueres is quite far to go to 'just' see a museum (albeit an amazing one), though the AVE train has made the travel times much shorter than they used to be. But still, combining your visit to the Dali museum with other sights in the area would be difficult if organizing it by yourself. For this reason alone, I recommend taking a guided tour—the expertise you get from your guide and the benefit of jumping the line is extra.
How to Get to Figueres from Barcelona by Public Transport
- By train: With the new high-speed AVE train from Barcelona to Figueres, the journey now takes just 53 minutes. The train departs from Barcelona Sants station, but you can pick it up at Passeig de Gracia. Read more about Barcelona bus and train stations. With little else of real significance in Figueres, it is a good idea to get an early train to the town and be out again by lunchtime so you can still enjoy the afternoon back in Barcelona.
- By car: The excellent train connection now makes hiring a car less attractive, but it is still a good alternative. You could then visit, for example, the town of Portlligat, where there is another Dali museum, or relax on the beach (in Roses, for example). This wouldn't be possible in a day by public transport. Compare prices on car hire from Barcelona.
- By bus: The bus is not practical.
How to Get from Girona to Figueres by Train and Bus
With the high-speed AVE train from Girona to Figueres, it is now possible to make this journey in just 14 minutes. Book Train Tickets in Spain.
There is a bus from Girona to Figueres, run by the Sagalés bus company. However, it is infrequent and no cheaper than the train.
How to Get from Girona to Figueres by Car
Take the AP-7 toll road from Girona to Figueres.
How to Get from Perpignan to Figueres by Train and Bus
The train from Perpignan to Figueres takes about 1h15 and costs just over 30 euros. It is a little cheaper if you change in Port Bou Espagne.
Linebus has a bus once a day from Perpignan to Figueres. The journey takes an hour and costs 24 euros.
How to Get from Perpignan to Figueres by Car
The 60km drive from Perpignan to Figueres should take about 45 minutes. Take the A9 and AP-7. These are both toll roads.
More Things to Do in Figueres
Once you've done the Dali Museum, there are a few other things you could try.
As you can see, there isn't a huge amount to do in Figueres apart from the Dali museum. My advice for a trip to Figueres is to do one of these things:
- Dali's place of birth is also in Figueres, but it is only really of historical interest.
- There is also the Toy Museum of Catalonia if that is your sort of thing.
- A local museum of archaeological artifacts.
Dali Themed Activities Around Figueres
- The Port Lligat Dali Museum, a smaller museum dedicated to Salvador Dali, can be found in Port Lligat, Cadaqués. The museum is in a former house of Dali, who lived there from 1930 until the death of his wife in 1982. There are buses from Figueres to Cadaqués but they are irregular and unreliable, so your own transport or a guided tour are your best. This Figueres and Cadaques Guided Tour includes entry to the Dali museum in Figueres but not the one in Cadaques, though they can help you get tickets. Cadaques is a picturesque town in itself and for some two Dali museums in a day would be a bit much, so this tour wisely makes the second museum optional.
- Gala Dali Castle in Púbol: a shrine to Dali's deceased wife and Dali's home in his own final years.