The 2016-2017 season of Saturday Night Live will be its 42nd season and begins on October 1, 2016.
Getting Saturday Night Live Tickets in Advance
Every August, you can submit your request for Saturday Night Live Tickets via email. Include your name, phone number, email address and mailing address in the body of the email. Only those who are selected for tickets will receive an email confirmation and two tickets to either a live taping or a dress rehearsal on a random date.
You cannot request a date to attend a taping. Some people certainly get lucky and get tickets but many more people enter the lottery every year and don't get tickets. If you don't get lucky, you can try the stand-by line.
Getting Standby Saturday Night Live Tickets
Stand-by tickets are distributed at 7 a.m. on the morning of the taping under the "NBC Studios" marquee on the 50th St. side of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.
Keep in mind that people sometimes line up for these tickets days in advance. Once you join the line, you are expected to stay in line for the duration, with the understanding that folks may leave for only for short necessary breaks (i.e. to go to the bathroom.) Standby tickets are available for either the 8 p.m. dress rehearsal or the 11:30 p.m. live show. Only one ticket will be issued per person. Please note that a stand-by ticket does not guarantee admission.
What to Know About Saturday Night Live Tickets
- You must be at least 16 to attend the Saturday Night Live show
- For the 8 p.m. dress rehearsal, you'll have to arrive at 5:45 p.m. to clear security and you can expect to be done around 9:30/10 p.m.
- For the 11:30 p.m. live show, you'll have to arrive at 9:30 p.m. to clear security and you can expect to be done around 1/1:30 a.m.
- Check the Saturday Night Live website to be sure they're airing a new episode on a given date before you plan to wait for stand-by tickets.
- Bring a sweater or jacket if you're attending a taping—they keep the studios pumped full of refrigerated air.
- Be aware that the weather and the guest host play a big role in the competitiveness for getting standby tickets (& how early people start to line up.)