If you are getting a passport for the first time — or in many other circumstances — you must apply for a passport in person. Many local post offices such as those below accept applications. After your application is submitted, it can take six to eight weeks to process and mail your passport. If you're in a hurry, you can expedite your application by appearing in person at the Minnesota Passport Agency in downtown Minneapolis.
Note that if you are eligible to renew a passport by mail, passport agencies and post offices will not accept your application — you can only mail it. Neither new nor renewed passports can be applied for online.
- Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S. Sixth St.
- Hennepin County Government Center - Midtown Exchange, 2929 Chicago Ave. S, Suite 50
- U.S. Post Office: Brooklyn Park, 5001 Edinbrook Terrace
- U.S. Post Office: Minneapolis Main Office, 100 S. First St., Room 106
- U.S. Post Office: Loring Station, 18 N. 12th St.
- U.S. Post Office: Lost Lake, 9705 45th Ave. N
- U.S. Post Office: Normandale, 5108 W. 74th St.
- U.S. Post Office: University Station, 2811 University Ave. SE
St. Paul Locations
- U.S. Post Office: Como Station, 2286 Como Ave.
- U.S. Post Office: Elway, 1715 7th St. W
- U.S. Post Office: Transfer Station, 2334 W. University Ave.
- U.S. Post Office: Twin Cities AMC, 5001 Northwest Drive
- U.S. Post Office: Uptown Station, 408 Saint Peter St., Suite 6
Other Metro Area Locations
You can apply for a passport at more locations around the Twin Cities. Find the nearest location on the Department of State's website.
Before Applying in Person
Call to see if the acceptance facility requires an appointment and if it takes passport photos on site. Gather your various documents, passport photos and fees.
Application fees vary depending on your situation. They can be paid by check or money order only; credit and debit cards will not be accepted. Execution fees are paid separately by money order, checks, cash (exact change) and credit card, depending on location.
Expedited Passport Services
What if you need a passport in a hurry? The Minneapolis Passport Agency in the U.S. Federal Office Building in downtown Minneapolis can issue a passport if you're traveling in less than two weeks or need to get a visa within four weeks. An appointment is required to apply for a passport here and can be made by phone or online. You must bring the following to your appointment:
- Appointment confirmation number
- Proof of international travel within two weeks or proof of an emergency abroad
- Completed forms and supporting documents
- A passport photo
- $60 expedite fee in addition to regular fees (payment methods: credit card, debit/check card, check, bank draft, cash (exact change), or money order)