We have always had a fascination with betting on sports in Las Vegas. We mean, we love watching sports and putting a few chips on the felt has always been a favorite thing to do. Combine the two activities and now we can watch a game between two teams we have no interest in and soon enough we're cheering first downs and holding calls with all the energy of a fanatic. However, does that mean that we can win at sports betting in Las Vegas?
We had a long conversation with the guys who set the line at Wynn Sports Book and it made us wonder about our ability to beat the house. He explained his job and his ability to set the line in order to make running a profitable sports book possible. He knew numbers. He knew players. He knew trends. He knew the nuances of teams, momentum, players, bettors, all parks, ice surfaces, weather patterns...in other words he was much smarter than we could ever hope to dream about being.
So can you win? Of course, you can win, but realize that there is a lot more to sports betting than meets the eye.
Where else can you sit in front of eight big screens and watch sports all day long while getting free drinks? All you need is a basic strategy to stretch your money at the sports book and spend a productive day in front of the television.
Time required: A lifetime to get it right
- Remember, there is no mathematical advantage to sports betting like there is in most forms of gambling. If you have a hunch, often times that is as good as reading the newspaper. With that in mind, you should still understand some basic rules to sports betting. You should know the sport you are betting and understand the odds.
- Select a few games to place wagers on. Selecting too many reduces your chances of coming out ahead. You should have a really good idea of why you are selecting the team you have put your money behind. The "this is my favorite team" strategy can become expensive.
- Understand that the line at every casino takes into consideration injuries, locations, weather conditions, and as many intangibles as might be available.
- Look for games that have lines that are influenced by public perception. If everybody jumps on their favorite team to win it dictates that line. Take advantage of these fluctuations.
- When losing, DO NOT throw money after your losses, this is the easiest way to get into an ugly hole.
- Parlay bets, while fun, are a waste of time because of the odds against getting more than a couple of bets to go your way at once are long.
- If you are out to have fun place a few bucks on your team and enjoy the game. Too much money on your team can ruin your day. Find a sports book that will give you free drinks because you put ten bucks on a team. Free drinks, a few bets and you get to watch a game.
- If you are betting on Hockey remember that if you bet on the Los Angeles Kings they will never let you down. (Actually, they probably will, but we have to support my team anyway.)
- Know the spread, understand it, and understand how you get paid
- You will need a lot of time to become a professional at this type of gambling, enjoy yourself instead.
What You Need
- Five hours on Sunday
When you are ready to watch some football in Las Vegas check out our 21 Places to Watch Football in Las Vegas and then carefully map out your betting strategy. A win is good but does it ever feel as bad as a tough beta. Your team loses and you lose money. Ouch!