Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar on Colombia's Caribbean Beach
Cartagena, on Colombia's Caribbean coast, was a jet-set beach destination back in the 1950s through 1960s -- and it is once again a glamorous getaway. Luxury travelers are rediscovering Cartagena, which remains off the beaten path but is now amazingly easy to fly into from North America.
When you visit Cartagena, you have two options: to stay in a boutique hotel in the city's charming, historic downtown, or to stay at a nearby beach resort that offers quick access to to the city.
In my opinion, you can have it all if you choose a beach resort. And if you narrow it down to the luxury resort Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar, you can experience the best that Cartagena has to offer in the city a well as on the beach.
Why Choose Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar for Your Cartagena Getaway?
Torre del Mar provides the best of both worlds: It is an appealing beach resort set on a glorious, and uncrowded, Caribbean stretch of sand.
• Its contemporary design and guest rooms are state-of-the-art
• You will find every onsite amenity you want in a beach resort: water sports, pools, recreation, spa, shopping, dining, entertainment, kids' club, and more
• The resort is family-friendly
• Pricing is a la carte (not all-inclusive)
Yet Torre del Mar is set just three miles from everything that's happening in Cartagena.
• Cartagena's "Old City," founded in 1533 -- almost a century before the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock -- is a UNESCO World Heritage site of astounding architectural legacies
• Plus a vibrant restaurant and nightlife scene, festival, galleries, and more
• And Cartagena's Rafael Núñez International Airport is minutes away
• See a photo gallery of Cartagena's highlights
A Top Choice in Cartagena Back When, and Today in Cartagena's Revival as a Luxury Travel Destination
Hotel Las Americas' original presence dates back decades. This resort was key in establishing a high standard of guest accommodations in Cartagena.
The original hotel was rebuilt and reopened in 2011 in sparkling contemporary oceanfront style.
Torre del Mar guests can expect traditional Colombian hospitality and style with five-star features and amenities.
Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar's Preferred Hotels & Resorts Status
Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar is one of just a handful of Colombian hotels that also attain the Preferred Hotels & Resorts standard of excellence. Not just any hotel can join the Preferred group, and this designation denotes high style, fine service, and premier amenities.
• Members of Preferred's iPrefer rewards program get a room upgrade and other perks; details here
Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar: Sleek Style with a Warm Colombian Touch
Torre Del Mar is soaring modern yet distinctively Colombian, combining a tropical mood with contemporary Latin style.
• Lobby areas dazzle with sweeping ocean-view window vistas that draw in the Caribbean sunlight flowing modern architecture, a profusion of hanging plants and vines.
• Guest rooms seamlessly blend a natural wool palette with bright tropical blues and greens.
Room and Suite Options at Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar
Torre del Mar is a medium-size hotel, with 279 guest quarters. They are set along on each floor around a large central atrium and are secluded from the hotel's busier public areas.
This privacy, along with soundproofed windows, makes guest accommodations noticeably quiet/
Room and suite configurations vary. For couples, families, or extended groups, there is a room or suite here that delivers comfort and luxury, with the option of connecting suites for larger traveling parties.
What You Get in Every Room Here
At any room level, guests can expect amenities like a private balcony (many with ocean view); minibar; satellite TV; iPhone/iPod player/charger; safe; and (the most-desired complimentary touch) free wi-fi
Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar's Vast Expanse of White Powder Beach
Along and offshore the huge expanse of oceanfront, there are plenty of ways to be active – or to do nothing at all but relax in comfortable luxury.
• The hotel's complimentary "beach club" provides free cabanas, chaise lounges, sun umbrellas, and beach towels
• A surfside bar offers refreshments (and waiter service if you can't bear to leave your chaise lounge)
• Various watersports on the turquoise Caribbean include jetskis, kayaks, waterskis, snorkeling gear, and more (non-motorized equipment is complimentary)
Eight Pools at Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar
The resort offers eight swimming pools including several with ocean views.
• My favorite was the infinity pool on the tenth-floor deck, where the water seems to blend right into the ocean vista. It's the perfect spot to begin your morning or to wind down your day with your special someone.
More to Do at Hotel Las Americas Torre Del Mar
This resort is a paradise for active guests. Sporting activities include tennis, volleyball, archery, miniature golf (18-hole golf games can be arranged by the concierge). And The fitness center is well equipped for cardio and training workouts
Spa Las Americas: Wellness with a Hydrotherapy Twist
The resort's Spa Las America houses Cartagena’s only hydrotherapy circuit, a wellbeing experience of multiple water-focused baths, pools, jets, and steam, alternating between hot and cold.
Spa Las America's spa menu is full-service, with treatments for face, body. Standout specialties include a fragrant warm oil massage; chocolate-based treatments for couples; and individual hydrotherapy.
Dining: From Beach Casual to a World-Renowned Spanish Chef
The resort's dining and drinking caters to varied tastes: from guests whose beach-vacation style is casual and easy fare to guests who like to dress up a little for fine dining amidst elegant ambiance
For gourmets: Erre de Ramon Freixa Restaurante y Bar climbs culinary heights in every sense. This restaurant, set on opened in 2012 as Catalan celebrity chef Roman Freixa's first endeavor outside of Spain, and possesses a Michelin star.
Erre's cuisine ranges from tapas to chef's tasting menus. The mood is light-hearted and sophisticated, and children are not permitted
• Erre's website (in Spanish) and TripAdvisor reviews (around 85% are Excellent or Very Good)
Bars of Many Moods at Torre del Mar
A variety bars and lounges entice guests to savor Cartagena glamour over a drink.
• Aqua Lounge Bar on the hotel's lobby level is the top spot for people-watching
• The Sports Bar on the second floor offers Colombian beers (amongst others) and cocktails (try one made with aguardiente Colombian liquor and the region's beers
• The Infinito Bar on the tenth floor, with a Caribbean panorama, is the place to murmur "I love views"
Learn More About Hotel Las Americas Torre del Mar
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the resort. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.