01 of 06
What to Expect at Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez, France
A Jet-Set Go-To in St. Tropez: The Famous Fit Right In
Hotel Byblos is a celebrated, 91-room hotel in St. Tropez, the most social town on the French Riviera, or Cote d'Azur.
• "St. Tro" is famed for its jet-set crowd and high-fashion summer party scene. And Hotel Byblos is an epicenter of this glamorous whirlwind.
Low-rise and sunny-colored, Hotel Byblos was designed to recall a Mediterranean fishing village. It is named for the Phoenician port that was a Mediterranean hub like St. Tropez, but in antiquity.
The hotel is open seasonally, from approximately mid-April to mid-October every year. Hotel Byblos is popular with the stylish set: designers, models, entertainers, upper-crust Euros, the international yachting contingent, and the roving party crowd you might run into in Ibiza, Punta del Este, Miami, Bali, St. Barths, or the Hamptons.
Hotel Byblos was opened in 1967 on historic Place de Lices in St. Tropez. The hotel doubled in size in 1983, when Sylvain Floirat purchased the... hotel plus adjoining acreage.
• The innovative Groupe Floirat is still family-run, with Antoine Chevanne, Sylvain Floirat's great-grandson, as CEO.
• Groupe Floirat also includes the delightful Les Manoirs de Tourgeville in Normandy and La Réserve in St. Jean de Luz, perched on the Atlantic in France's Basque corner
Those Bold-Face Names...
Hotel Byblos has always been a destination of the international fashion and society crowd. The hotel's storied guest register includes bold-face names like Brigitte Bardot, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, and Mick Jagger, who married Bianca Pérez-Mora Macias right here in 1971.
Service is superb at Hotel Byblos. Guests can expect a refined French accueil (or English "welcome") from the bilingual staff at the front desk, and swift responses to the smallest requests. Hotel Byblos offers a 24/7 concierge and impeccable housekeeping. Guests have their choice of outstanding restaurants (including one by Alain Ducasse), a bar, a glittering nightclub, a pool, gym, and in-house Sisley spa.
Brilliant Location of Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez
Hotel Byblos entices guests with a verdant location just off Place de Lices, a town square ideal for strolling, café-sitting, and people-watching. Hotel Byblos is also near:
- The famed marina Le Vieux Port, where some of the world's most spectacular yachts berth in summer
- Local food and flower vendors
- Club 55, a private beach with a restaurant and bar
- Designer boutiques such as Martine Chambon and Francine Joaillerie
What are rooms and suites like at Hotel Byblos? >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Rooms and Suites at Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez, France
How Chic Are the Rooms in Hotel Byblos? Très Chic
Hotel Byblos is as fashionable as its clientele. Its is a typically personal, quirky boutique hotel, with 40 rooms and 51 suites are chic, spacious, and sunny, with a Provençale palette of earth tones with bright accents.
• As in all Groupe Floirat hotels, Byblos room décor was overseen by Monsieur Chevanne's mother, Madame Mireille Chevanne)
Hotel Byblos accommodations range from spacious 350-square-foot rooms to rambling suites of nearly 2,000 square feet.
• Larger suites have huge windows and terraces overlooking the pool in the center of the property
My elegant yet comfortable suite at Hotel Byblos had three closets, three full-length mirrors, and a vast living room. The bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept in, with a pillowtop mattress and soft, high-denier Egyptian cotton sheets from Frette.
My suite's location six stories above the street made it blissfully quiet, with no ambient noise or hubbub from... neighboring rooms.
Guest rooms and suites at Hotel Byblos are generally equipped with:
- A seating area with a writing desk, magazines, and a book about Hotel Byblos
- A large, interactive plasma screen TV
- Closets with a safe, ironing board, robe, and slippers
- A pod-style coffeemaker
- A high-end radio with an iPod connector
- Free wifi
- Suites have a well-stocked minibar
Lavish, spa-like bathrooms in Hotel Byblos feature:
- Marble fittings and contemporary wallpaper
- His and hers sinks
- A smaller plasma screen TV for those who linger
- Step-in shower large enough for two and a deep, sunken bathtub
- Organic French toiletries, housed in pretty drawstring sacks (one for Madame, one for Monsieur)
- Suite bathrooms delight les femmes with goody bags of Sisley beauty balms
Read about the délicieux dining at Hotel Byblos >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Dining at Hôtel Byblos in St. Tropez, France
Hotel Byblos has two superb restaurants: the casual B Restaurant and Spoon by Alain Ducasse.
Breakfast, included in room rates, is magnificent. It is served in Le B. restaurant, a sunny indoor-outdoor area beside the pool. Guests can anticipate American-style pancakes with real maple syrup from Vermont. French delights include wonderful crepes, croissants, Provençale sausage, and a plethora of pastries, all presented buffet style.
Le B. serves a relaxing, informal lunch. The menu's global fusion dishes such as squid tempura and tuna with foie gras are hard to resist. Le B. also serves Mediterranean snacks called byni'z at any time. These light bites cover Lebanese mezze, Italian antipasti, and Spanish tapas. In short, great small plates from all over the Mediterranean.
The hotel's acclaimed fine-dining restaurant, Spoon at Byblos, serves French and innovative modern cuisine to hotel guests and to St. Tropez locals and visitors. Spoon belongs to the restaurant family of... world-renowned chef and entrepreneur, Alain Ducasse.
Spoon's Burgundian chef Vincent Maillard has created a global menu of flavors. Diners can savor Mediterranean fare such as white beans with grilled octopus and Asian delights like shrimp and carrot tempura that you eat with chopsticks. Spoon is a dining destination for the entire St. Tropez area.
Be there: the pool party at Hotel Byblos >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Pool, Nightclub, Spa, & Gym at Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez, French Riviera
Many Hotel Byblos guests unwind in its refined Sisley Spa. This relaxation station offers beauty services such as facials, massages, and distinctly Gallic anti-cellulite treatments. France's Sisley cosmetics line is used exclusively.
Hotel Byblos' large, terraced pool is set in the center of the hotel's horseshoe layout, and is a focal point of hotel action. Plenty of lounge chairs, a poolside bar, an array of beautiful people in skimpy bikinis, and a French Riviera setting guarantee that Hotel Byblos's pool is a social scene.
After dark, Hotel Byblos's trendy nightclub, Les Caves des Roy, hosts an ultra-fashionable late-night South of France party crowd. Hotel guests enjoy automatic admission.
A small hotel gym has a few cardio machines and free weights. It's adequate but not deluxe.
Will you like Hotel Byblos? Take the quiz >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Will You Like Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez, France?
Will You Like Staying Here?
Hotel Byblos may be the right French Riviera hotel for you if:
- You're a member of the fashion set, and like to stay at an "in" place
- You're a high society jet-setter, or like to be around those who are
- You consider people-watching prime hotel entertainment
- You like a famed hotel with its own legend and lore
- You love luxurious yet breezy and modern decor
- You love to sit in a café facing the ocean, and sip a café au lait or kir royale
- You wouldn't mind lodging five minutes from a trendy beach clubs like Club 55
- You love the idea of a famous club in-house, whose velvet rope parts for hotel guests
- You want to be near designer boutiques and art galleries
- You like French hotels where you will be addressed courteously, in English
You may not fall in love with Hotel Byblos if:
- You'd prefer a French Riviera city like Nice or Cannes to a hamlet like St. Tropez
- Your idea of a South of France vacation is a rented villa or farmhouse up in the hills
- You... don't want to think too much about your clothes while on vacation, and a hotel with a fashion crowd may be too much
- You need a fully equipped, spacious hotel gym
- You're impatient with summer traffic jams and will be frustrated by the sole road in and out of St. Tropez, which often bottlenecks in July and August
How to connect with Hotel Byblos and compare room rates >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
For More Info & Room Reservations at Hotel Byblos in St. Tropez
How to Connect with Hotel Byblos
Getting there: Delta and Air France fly nonstop from New York's JFK airport to Nice International Airport. (Canadians can fly nonstop from Toronto and Montreal on several airlines.) From Nice, Hotel Byblos guests can choose either limousine or helicopter service. The drive takes around two hours, more during peak season.
- Hotel Byblos's website
- Hotel Byblos on Facebook
- Reservations and info by phone: 011 33(4) 94 56 68 00
- Via email
- Hotel Byblos
Avenue Paul Signac
83990 Saint-Tropez, France
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the hotel. While this arrangement did not influence his article, About.com believes in editorial transparency. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.