01 of 13One of the absolute Christmas classics, the Metropolitan Ballet perform The Nutcracker with a live orchestra at the Hopkins Event Center. Two shows on December 21.
02 of 13
The Christmas tradition, A Christmas Carol, is playing at the Guthrie from November 14-December 29. It's the 39th anniversary of the holiday show, but the Guthrie makes it fresh and full of wonder every year.
03 of 13
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is the SteppingStone Theatre's annual children's holiday show, so beloved that this is the 22nd year of the production. December 6 - December 23.
04 of 13
The Ordway Center always puts on a magical Holiday production or two. This year, the Ordway Center presents Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz, December 4 - December 29.Continue to 5 of 13 below.
05 of 13
The Minnesota Boychoir's annual holiday concert will be at the Historic Wesley Center in Minneapolis on December 21.
The Minnesota Boychoir will also perform at the Landmark Center in downtown St. Paul, with two shows on January 5.
All shows are free, and a freewill donation is requested.
06 of 13
The Hennepin Theatre District has all kinds of holiday entertainment in three theaters.
- Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker at the Orpheum Theatre December 6 - December 7
- Martina McBride: The Joy of Christmas at the State Theater, December 6
- The New Standards Holiday Show, at the State Theater, December 7-8
- 5th Annual Holiday Lights LIVE!, a charity concert event with some of Minnsota's top musical talent. Pantages Theatre, Sunday, December 8
- Lorie Line: Born in Bethlehem, glorious Christmas music. State Theatre December 14 - December 15
- All Is Calm: The Christmas Truce of 1914 Pantages Theatre, December 19 - December 22
- Loyce Houlton's Nutcracker Fantasy, State Theater, December 20-23.
- John Trones: Christmas in the City with Jim Brickman, Pantages Theater, December 23.
07 of 13
The Home Free Vocal Band brings their Home Free Christmas Tour concert to the Fitzgerald Theater on December 14.
08 of 13
The Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus presents their holiday show Star of Wonder. Three shows, on December 13, 14, and 15.Continue to 9 of 13 below.
09 of 13The Actor's Theater of Minnesota presents two holiday shows:
- A Tuna Christmas, Thursdays through Sundays, December 5 - December 28
- a Comedy Roast of Mr. Scrooge, December 13-22
10 of 13
Choral group VocalEssence's Welcome Christmas is in its 38th year, this Christmas with several new carols. Performances on December 7, 8, 13, 14, 15 at churches in Apple Valley, Plymouth, Minneapolis, Edina and Stillwater.
11 of 13
Holiday Concerts at Colleges
Colleges in the Twin Cities' holiday concerts are produced and performed by students, faculty and staff. Most are in the first week of December, and purchasing tickets in advance is recommended. Several performances are free. Here's the schedule of holiday concerts at colleges.
12 of 13
There's no Holiday show at the Minnesota Opera this year, but tickets to one of the upcoming 2013 shows would be a wonderful gift for someone!
Last year, the The Minnesota Opera presented the world premier of an original opera. Silent Night, based on the screenplay for the movie Joyeux Noël by Christian Carion, which recounts the true story of the Christmas Eve truce during World War 1. This year, you can see the opera screened on Twin Cities Public Television on December 13.Continue to 13 of 13 below.
13 of 13
The Minnesota Orchestra usually celebrates Christmas in all kinds of ways this December. This holiday season the Minnesota Orchestra musicians are on strike, and shows have been cancelled though December 23. Refunds and exchanges are available for tickets already purchased.
Create fonder memories than a pair of socks or an electric drill with tickets to a holiday concert, play, ballet, musical, or performance. Choose from classics like the Nutcracker, the Messiah, or A Christmas Carol, or something more unusual like a production from the Hennepin Theater District.